Cor Jesu Chapel
The architect who planned the campus was Gerald Barry, a nephew of Bishop Patrick Barry for whom the college was named. Other members of the Barry family were also key to the founding of the college, including Gerald Barry's sister, Mother Gerald Barry, superior general of the Adrian Dominicans, and their younger brother, Monsignor William Barry, founder of St. Patrick's on the Beach.
The chapel was the spiritual and physical heart of the campus. Gerald Barry used a Spanish Mediterranean revival style of architecture, blended with the "Southern colonial character."
As the Miami Herald described the new college on Sunday, September 15, 1940, "Forming the central motif for the campus is the chapel, named Cor Jesu (Heart of Jesus),...Topped by an 80 foot tower holding carillon chimes, the chapel will seat 500 persons and will be equipped with a pipe organ and marble altar...Arranged around the double royal palm fringed driveway which leads to the chapel from the entrance on Second Avenue, the college buildings are airy and spacious, marked by a liberal use of glass."
Margaret Brady Farrell, a wealthy winter parishioner of St. Patrick's on the beach, paid for the chapel, inside and out, once she discovered that a shortage of money was postponing its immediate construction. After her death, Barry received a chalice decorated with her personal jewels.
The chapel architecture was modified Romanesque with exposed beams and was built in choir style with wood wainscoting and a canopy over the altar. Dominating the back of the chapel was a huge amber glass window with a large Celtic cross in the middle.