Service Member’s Opportunity College (SOC)
Barry University is a Military Friendly Institution
The School of Adult & Continuing Education (ACE) is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) Consortium. We provide flexible policies that allow servicemembers and their families to complete degrees rather than just accumulate course credit.
Members of SOC are committed to following SOC principles which include the following:
- Reasonable Transfer of Credit: avoid excessive loss of previously earned credit and avoid course work duplication
- Credit for Military Training and Experience: recognize and use ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in evaluating and awarding academic credit for military training and experience
- Credit for Nationally Recognized Testing Programs: credit for testing programs such as College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and General and Subject Exams (DANTES)
In addition, Barry’s School of Adult & Continuing Education provides opportunities for credit from prior learning through our Portfolio program, licensures, and certifications.
A SOC Institution Offers the Following Benefits for Servicemembers
The Barry University School of Adult and Continuing Education has been identified by the American Association of Community and Junior Colleges as a Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) providing educational assistance to active duty servicemen. Benefits include:
- Use of admissions procedures which insure access to higher education for academically qualified military personnel;
- Evaluation of learning gained through military experiences and, academic credit awarded where applicable to the service members’ program of study;
- Evaluation of non-traditional learning and awarding of academic credit for such learning where applicable to the service member's program of study;
- Evaluation of requests for inter-institutional transfer of credits and acceptance of such credits whenever they are appropriate to the service member's program and are consistent with the college's curriculum;