Probation and Dismissal

A graduate student is in Good Academic Standing if his/her cumulative grade point average (GPA) is 3.00 or above.

Students with a semester or cumulative GPA below 3.00 will be placed on academic probation. Also, students who earn more than two grades of “C” or a grade below a “C” during their academic program are placed on probation. Probation will be lifted the following semester if the student achieves a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above with no more than two grades of “C.” If this condition is not met, the student will remain on probation. While on probation, a student is limited to registering for one course per session or two per semester. Any student failing to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 for two consecutive semesters will be dismissed.

If a student receives a third “C” or below, then s/he must repeat a course, in which s/he earned the deficient grade, when the course is next offered. Any student who fails to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 for two consecutive semesters will not be eligible for VA benefits. student who has been dismissed for academic reasons may not petition the Dean for readmission until one year has elapsed from the date of the dismissal notification. Upon readmission, the student will be considered on academic probation and must remove one of the earned deficient grades by repeating a course in which a grade of “C” or below was earned.

A course may only be repeated once and a student may only repeat three courses. If the student fails to achieve a grade of "B" or better in that course, the student is considered to have failed to complete the conditions for reinstatement or removal of probationary status and will be permanently dismissed from the program.


Candidates for a Master's degree must:

  • Satisfactorily complete the program of study;
  • Have attained a cumulative GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale (with no more than two C's). No more than three courses may be repeated and a course may only be repeated once;
  • Complete degree requirements within seven years of the date the student is fully accepted as a degree-seeking student for study in the graduate program; and
  • File an application for degree completion with the University Registrar on the appropriate form signed by the relevant (site) advisor in the School of Professional And Career Education. A $150 fee applies.