Criteria for Alumni Board of Directors
To act as an advisory board between the University and the Alumni Association to promote opportunities which foster active alumni participation, in compliance with the Constitution and Bylaws of the Association.
An Alumnus/Alumna is defined as a student who attended either full or part time, undergraduate or graduate, who earned a minimum of 30 credit hours toward one of the degrees, or completed at least 50% of the requirements toward a certificate program offered by Barry University and has terminated student status.
1. The board is composed of 24 members, which reflects, as closely as possible, the actual decade and geographic composition of the total active alumni population.
2. Board candidate shall have demonstrated a variety of leadership skills and attributes through his/her professional and/or volunteer endeavors.
Duties of an Alumni Board Member
- The board member must serve on, a minimum of, one committee during each year of office.
- Attend the four regular Alumni Board meetings each year, and to abide by Board meeting attendance rules stated in the Constitution. (Any Board member who misses two consecutive meetings without an excused absence is automatically removed from the Board).
- Support by attendance Alumni-sponsored educational, social, recreational and/or cultural events, as well as promote attendance of other alumni.
- Propose events, programs, and policies that will add to and/or enhance the effectiveness of the alumni board’s efforts to support the objectives of the association.
- Serve as ambassadors to Barry and to actively recruit talented prospective students.
- A Board candidate must be a consistent supporter of the University’s Annual Giving.
- A Board candidate should attend University sponsored events whenever possible, and particularly when called upon to represent the alumni at such events.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the full term of a Board member?
A. The full term of a Board Director will commence at the close of the April meeting for a period of three years, at which time he/she may be re-elected to serve a second three-year term.
Q. How often does the Alumni Board of Directors meet?
A. The Board meets four times a year.
Q. What are the responsibilities of a Board of member?
A. Board members serve on one or more of the standing committees of the Board. The committees are: Alumni Engagement Committee, Fundraising Committee, Nominating Committee, Scholarship Committee, in addition to attending the meetings.
Q. Are Board Directors reimbursed for their out-of-pocket expenses?
A. No. Travel, off-campus lodging expenses, and miscellaneous expenses, such as telephone calls and postage, are the responsibility of each Board member, but may be deducted in-kind as a charitable deduction.
The Next Step
After completely reading and understanding these criteria, you may continue to the Alumni Board Candidate Profile Form. If you have any questions, please contact the Alumni Relations Office at 305-899-3175.