MIAMI SHORES, Fla. – The Barry University women’s tennis team (12-3) picked up another win over NCAA Division I competition on Wednesday afternoon with an 8-1 win over the Columbia Lions (2-6) at the Buccaneer Tennis Center.
Barry swept through all three doubles flights with Ildiko Csordas and Caroline Stevens taking an 8-1 win over the Nina Suda/Stephanie Zilberman tandem at number one. Heading into singles, the Bucs carried a 3-0 lead.
Despite Csordas dropping a point to Suda at number one singles 10-8 in a super tiebreaker, the Buccaneers managed to win the bottom five flights to win the match. Stevens breezed through at number two winning the first set 6-4 and was ahead in the second 4-1 before Zilberman retired.
Angie Werschel managed to pull out a 6-4, 6-1 win at number three over Columbia’s Carling Donavan, while Barry’s fourth through sixth flights Helen Wisniewski, Berit Peterson and Olivia Lilien allowed the Lions no more than two points per player to close out the match.
The Buccaneers will return to action on Tuesday, Mar. 5 in Sunshine State Conference action in Boca Raton against the third-ranked Lynn Fighting Knights.
Tennis Match Results
Columbia vs Barry
3/19/2008 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneers Tennis Center)
#14 Barry 8, Columbia 1
1. Nina Suda (CCW) def. Ildiko Csordas (BUW) 2-6, 6-2, 10-8
2. Caroline Stevens (BUW) def. Stephanie Zilberman (CCW) 6-4, 4-1, retired
3. Angie Werschel (BUW) def. Carling Donovan (CCW) 6-4, 6-1
4. Helen Wisniewski (BUW) def. Natalia Christenson (CCW) 6-0, 6-1
5. Berit Peterson (BUW) def. Linnae Goswami (CCW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Olivia Lilien (BUW) def. Kim McMenamin (CCW) 6-2, 6-0
1. Ildiko Csordas/Caroline Stevens (BUW) def. Nina Suda/Stephanie Zilberman (CCW) 8-1
2. Angie Werschel/Helen Wisniewski (BUW) def. Carling Donovan/Natalia Christenson (CCW) 8-4
3. Berit Peterson/Olivia Lilien (BUW) def. Linnae Goswami/Kim McMenamin (CCW) 8-3
Barry 12-3; National ranking #14