LAKELAND, Fla. - #10 Barry University Women’s Tennis (17-5) blanked Saint Leo (12-9) 5-0 in a quarterfinals match-up of the Sunshine State Conference Tournament.
Seniors #14 Ildiko Csordas and Helen Wisniewski combined for four points in the shutout. In singles, Csordas defeated Lina Bebkirane 6-2, 6-1 at #1. Wisniewski had a dominate outing as well at #4 singles with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Veronica Queen.
In doubles, Csordas paired with Caroline Stevens at #1 and tallied an 8-0 win over Benkirane and Asmaa Tazi. At #2 doubles, Wisniewski teamed with Angie Werschel to take an 8-4 win over Shaena Keefe and Taylor Cleaves. The tandem of Olivia Lilien and Berit Peterson earned the fifth point for the Buccaneers with a 8-4 win over Queen and Gina Schifano at #3 doubles.
Barry will now await the winner of the Rollins/Florida Tech quarterfinal match for their semifinal match, scheduled for Friday, April 18th at 9:00 am.
Saint Leo vs Barry
04/17/2008 at Lakeland, Fla.
(Beerman Tennis Center)
#10 Barry 5, Saint Leo 0
1. #14 Ildiko Csordas (BUW) def. Lina Benkirane (SLW) 6-2, 6-1
2. #26 Caroline Stevens (BUW) vs. Asmaa Tazi (SLW) 6-3, 5-2, unfinished
3. #35 Angie Werschel (BUW) vs. Shaena Keefe (SLW) 6-0, 3-4, unfinished
4. Helen Wisniewski (BUW) def. Veronica Queen (SLW) 6-2, 6-0
5. Olivia Lilien (BUW) vs. Gina Schifano (SLW) 6-3, 5-1, unfinished
6. Laime Contreras (BUW) vs. Taylor Cleaves (SLW) 6-1, 4-6, 3-0, unfinished
1. #8 Ildiko Csordas/Caroline Stevens (BUW) def. Lina Benkirane/Asmaa Tazi (SLW) 8-0
2. Helen Wisniewski/Angie Werschel (BUW) def. Shaena Keefe/Taylor Cleaves (SLW) 8-4
3. Olivia Lilien/Berit Peterson (BUW) def. Veronica Queen/Gina Schifano (SLW) 8-4
Saint Leo 12-9
Barry 17-5; National ranking #10
2008 Sunshine State Conference Tennis Championships - Match 2