MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The top-seeded Barry Buccaneers advanced to the final of the NCAA Division II Southeast Region-I Men’s Tennis Tournament with a 6-0 victory over the eighth-seed Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish on Thursday at the Buccaneer Tennis Center.
The Buccaneers (18-4) grabbed a 3-0 lead after doubles. The Bucs’ number two team of Andrew Sharnov and Roman Werschel cruised quickly through Paul Segodo and Frankie Moulton 8-1. At number one, Patrick Rittenauer and Ales Svigelj made it 2-0 Barry with an 8-4 win over Brock Newton and John Tilton. At number three, Barry’s Christoph Gayer and Manuel Lauter went up 7-3 and held on for an 8-6 win over James Buerkle Lukas Columbo.
In the singles, the Bucs took the first set from the Sailfish (17-8) at five of the six flights. Werschel quickly disposed of Moulton at number three singles 6-1, 6-2 to put the Bucs on the brink. Then Lauter and Jakub Fejfar both completed their matches within seconds of each other to make the final score 6-0. Lauter defeated Buerkle at number five 6-1, 6-0, while Fejfar knocked off Tilton 6-0, 6-1 at number four.
The Bucs will face the winner of the Rollins/Tusculum match at 2:00 pm on Friday, May 9 in the finals.
Tennis Match Results
Palm Beach Atlantic vs Barry
5/08/2008 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#5 Barry 6, #40 Palm Beach Atlantic 0
1. #15 Patrick Rittenauer (BUM) vs. #23 Brock Newton (PBAM) 6-4, 3-1, unfinished
2. #18 Ales Svigelj (BUM) vs. Paul Segodo (PBAM) 5-5, unfinished
3. Roman Werschel (BUM) def. Frankie Moulton (PBAM) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jakub Fejfar (BUM) def. John Tilton (PBAM) 6-0, 6-1
5. Manuel Lauter (BUM) def. James Buerkle (PBAM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Christoph Gayer (BUM) vs. Tyler Dealy (PBAM) 6-0, 5-1, unfinished
1. #5 Patrick Rittenauer/Ales Svigelj (BUM) def. Brock Newton/John Tilton (PBAM) 8-4
2. Andrew Sharnov/Roman Werschel (BUM) def. Paul Segodo/Frankie Moulton (PBAM) 8-1
3. Christoph Gayer/Manuel Lauter (BUM) def. James Buerkle/Lukas Colombo (PBAM) 8-6
Palm Beach Atlantic 17-8; National ranking #40
Barry 18-4; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (,3,5,4)
Barry advances to the regional final on Friday, May 9 at 2:00 pm
Official: Cecil Wise