MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The top-seeded Barry Buccaneers rode their powerful singles lineup to a 5-1 win over the Rollins Tars at the NCAA Division II Men’s Tennis Southeast-I Region Tournament at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Saturday.
The Tars (16-7) jumped out on top in double when 10th-ranked Brian Compton and Jonathan Gomez upset fifth-ranked Patrick Rittenauer and Ales Svigelj 8-4 at number one. Andrew Sharnov and Roman Werschel evened the match for the Bucs (19-4) with an 8-2 win over Austin Duvall and Albin Hubscher at number three.
The doubles swung on the number two flight which went to a tie-breaker. Barry’s Emanuel Fraitzl and Jakub Fejfar rallied from down a service break at 7-5 to force the tie-breaker then took it 7-2 to put the Bucs up 2-1 after doubles.
In singles, 18th-ranked Svigelj made short work of #45 Gomez at number two, winning 6-2, 6-0. Fejfar put the Bucs on the brink with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Duvall at number six.
From there it was a race to the finish, with three Buccaneers vying to close out the match. Sharnov at number four and Fraitzl at number both had match point, while Rittenauer was in the final game at number one. But it was Fraitzl earning the decisive point with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Adrian Tan.
The Buccaneers advance to the NCAA Division II National Tournament at the Spring Sports Festival in Houston, Texas May 14-17.
Tennis Match Results
Rollins vs Barry
5/10/2008 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#5 Barry 5, #11 Rollins 1
1. #15 Patrick Rittenauer (BUM) vs. #12 Brian Compton (RCM) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
2. #18 Ales Svigelj (BUM) def. #45 Jonathan Gomez (RCM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. Adrian Tan (RCM) 6-1, 6-2
4. Andrew Sharnov (BUM) vs. Pablo Seijo (RCM) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
5. Roman Werschel (BUM) vs. Gustavo Carvalho (RCM) 6-3, 3-1, unfinished
6. Jakub Fejfar (BUM) def. Austin Duvall (RCM) 6-1, 6-2
1. #10 Brian Compton/Jonathan Gomez (RCM) def. #5 Patrick Rittenauer/Ales Svigelj (BUM) 8-4
2. Emanuel Fraitzl/Jakub Fejfar (BUM) def. Gustavo Carvalho/Pablo Seijo (RCM) 9-8 (7-2)
3. Andrew Sharnov/Roman Werschel (BUM) def. Austin Duvall/Albin Hubscher (RCM) 8-2
Rollins 16-8; National ranking #11
Barry 19-4; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (,2,6,3)
Official: Cecil Wise
Men's Tennis Downs Tars to Advance to Nationals
Posted On : May 10, 2008