HOUSTON, Texas—The eighth-ranked Barry Buccaneers swept the Northwest Missouri State Bearcats 5-0 in the opening round of the NCAA Division II Women’s Tennis National Tournament at Homer Ford Tennis Center on Wednesday.
Senior Helen Wisniewski closed out the match with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Lina Gomez at number four singles.
The Bucs (21-6) won all three doubles over the 31st-ranked Bearcats (23-5). Ildiko Csordas and Caroline Stevens knocked off Carolina Amaral and Lisa Pendrak at number one 8-3. Wisniewski and Angie Werschel matched that score in beating Jordan Lipira and Veronica Castilla at number two. Olivia Lilien and Berit Peterson closed out the doubles sweep 8-4 over Kristina Vucenov and Gomez at number three.
In singles, the Bucs won the first set at all six singles. Lilien made short work of Pendrak at number six singles 6-1, 6-1 to make it 4-0 Barry setting up Wisniewski to clinch the match.
The Bucs will face the winner of the Armstrong Atlantic State/Incarnate Word match at 9:00 am at Memorial Park on Thursday.
Tennis Match Results
Northwest Mo. State vs Barry
5/14/2008 at Homer Ford Tennis Center
#8 Barry 5, #31 Northwest Mo. State 0
1. #8 Ildiko Csordas (BUW) vs. #27 Kristina Vucenov (NWMOW) 6-1, 1-1, unfinished
2. #23 Caroline Stevens (BUW) vs. Veronica Castilla (NWMOW) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
3. #33 Angie Werschel (BUW) vs. Jordan Lipira (NWMOW) 6-3, 1-1, unfinished
4. Helen Wisniewski (BUW) def. Lina Gomez (NWMOW) 6-0, 6-1
5. Berit Peterson (BUW) vs. Carolina Amaral (NWMOW) 6-2, 4-0, unfinished
6. Olivia Lilien (BUW) def. Lisa Pendrak (NWMOW) 6-1, 6-1
1. #11 Ildiko Csordas/Caroline Stevens (BUW) def. Carolina Amaral/Lisa Pendrak (NWMOW) 8-3
2. Angie Werschel/Helen Wisniewski (BUW) def. Jordan Lipira/Veronica Castilla (NWMOW) 8-3
3. Olivia Lilien/Berit Peterson (BUW) def. Kristina Vucenov/Lina Gomez (NWMOW) 8-4
Northwest Mo. State 23-5; National ranking #31
Barry 21-6; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (,6,4)
Women's Tennis Sweeps Bearcats To Advance to Quarterfinals
Posted On : May 14, 2008