HOUSTON, Texas—The fifth-ranked Barry Buccaneers fell 5-0 to the top-ranked Armstrong Atlantic State Pirates in the finals of the NCAA Division II Men’s Tennis National Tournament.
The Pirates (31-0) took a 3-0 lead after doubles, winning quickly 8-3 at both one and two. At number three, the Bucs’ Andrew Sharnov and Roman Werschel were up 4-3 on serve, but fell behind 7-4. After getting a break to pull to 7-5, the match was delayed for 0:42 minutes due to rain. When play resumed, the Bucs quickly won their service game to make it 7-6, but the Pirates’ Paul Bishop and Davor Zink overcame four break points to take the set 8-6.
In singles, #6 Tim Johannsen defeated #15 Patrick Rittenauer 6-2, 6-3 at number one and #50 Christian Bergh closed out the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Werschel at number five.
The Buccaneers led up a set at number two, three and four singles, but none could finish.
The Bucs close the season at 21-5, finishing runner-up for the third time in school history.
Tennis Match Results
Armstrong Atlantic State vs Barry
05/17/2008 at Houston, Texas
#1 Armstrong Atlantic State 5, #5 Barry 0
1. #6 Tim Johannsen (AASU) def. #15 Patrick Rittenauer (BUM) 6-2, 6-3
2. #18 Ales Svigelj (BUM) vs. #22 Robert Jendelund (AASU) 7-6 (7-3), 3-3, unfinished
3. Emmanuel Fraitzl (BUM) vs. #32 Paul Bishop (AASU) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
4. Andrew Sharnov (BUM) vs. #43 Rafael Array (AASU) 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
5. #50 Christian Bergh (AASU) def. Roman Werschel (BUM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Manuel Lauter (BUM) vs. Davor Zink (AASU) 2-6, 3-3, unfinished
1. #6 Tim Johannsen/Rafael Array (AASU) def. #5 Patrick Rittenauer/Ales Svigelj (BUM) 8-3
2. #18 Christian Bergh/Robert Jendelund (AASU) def. Emmanuel Fraitzl/Jakub Fejfar (BUM) 8-3
3. Paul Bishop/Davor Zink (AASU) def. Andrew Sharnov/Roman Werschel (BUM) 8-6
Armstrong Atlantic State 31-0; National ranking #1
Barry 21-5; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (,1,5)