MIAMI Shores, Fla.—The Barry University women’s tennis team dismantled Saint Leo (2-1) on Saturday afternoon at the Buccaneer Tennis Center, winning 9-0.
In number one doubles, Angie Werschel and Lamie Contreras beat Lina Benkirane and Shaena Keefe 8-4. In number two doubles, Caroline Wendling and Yulia Kashelkina beat Gina Schifano and Taylor Cleaves 8-1. The number three doubles team of Julie Cadet and Mei-jing Ang defeated their Lions opponent by default.
Up 3-0 already, the Bucs continued their pounding of the lions when number one Angie Werschel beat Lisa Benkirane 6-2, 6-7 (4), and 10-2 in the tiebreaker.
At this point, the Bucs needed just one point to win the match. Caroline Wendling easily took it, beating Shaena Keefe 6-1, 6-0.
The Buccaneers move to 2-0 on the season and 1-0 in SSC play with the win over Lynn. The team returns to action on Friday, Feb 13 against Hillsborough Community College at home at 2 pm.
Tennis Match Results
Saint Leo vs Barry
Feb 07, 2009 at Miami Shores, Fla
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
Barry 7, Saint Leo 0
1. Angie Werschel (BUW) def. Lina Benkirane (SLW) 6-2, 6-7, 10-2
2. Caroline Wendling (BUW) def. Shaena Keefe (SLW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Yulia Kashelkina (BUW) def. Gina Schifano (SLW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Laime Contreras (BUW) def. Taylor Cleaves (SLW) 6-0, 6-1
5. Mei-Jing Ang (BUW) def. Lara King (SLW) 6-2, 6-2
1. Angie Werschel/Laime Contreras (BUW) def. Lina Benkirane/Shaena Keefe (SLW) 8-4
2. Caroline Wendling/Yulia Kashelkina (BUW) def. Gina Schifano/Taylor Cleaves (SLW) 8-1
Saint Leo 2-1