ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.—The Barry University men’s tennis team knocked off the Georgia College Bobcats 5-0 on Thursday morning in route to the semifinals of the NCAA Division II tennis championships.
In doubles action the number three team of Sergio Velez and Jakub Fejfar had another dominating day, beating Max Beliankou and Robert Angelucci 8-2. The Bucs went up 2-0 before the Bobcat pair won the third game. Barry took two of three to take a 4-2 lead. The Bucs won the next four straight to take thieir first point of the day.
In doubles two, Ales Svigelj and Andrew Sharnov took a 5-1 lead on Joao Casagrande and Francis Yoshimoto before giving the Bobcats two games in a row. That was the closest Casagrande and Yoshimoto would come though, as the Bucs went on to win 8-4, taking a 2-0 lead.
In doubles one Emanuel Fraitzl and Max Wimmer strrugled with Erick Siqueira and Justin Pickham. The Bucs took the first two games and led throughout, but the Bobcats came within a game of the Bucs five times. The Bucs went on to win the flight 8-6, taking a 3-0 lead heading into singles.
In singles action it was once again the bottom flights that helped the Bucs earn the two points they needed to win.
In the sixth spot, Marcello D’Armas quickly beat Joao Casagrande 6-1, 6-0, giving the Bucs a 4-0 lead.
Meanwhile, Jakub Fejfar took down Leo Bernardes 6-4, 6-1 in singles five to wrap it up for the Bucs.
With the win, the Bucs face Concordia in the semifinal round. In the other semifinal match, Hawaii-Pacific will face Armstrong Atlantic.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia College vs Barry
05/14/09 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
#2 Barry 5, #7 Georgia College 0
1. #5 Ales Svigelj (BUM) vs. #8 Erick Siqueira (GCSU) 4-6, 0-1, unfinished
2. #18 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) vs. #15 Justin Pickham (GCSU) 6-0, 0-6, 1-0, unfinished
3. #46 Andrew Sharnov (BUM) vs. #25 Francis Yoshimoto (GCSU) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
4. Roman Werschel (BUM) vs. Max Beliankou (GCSU) 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
5. Jakub Fejfar (BUM) def. Leo Bernardes (GCSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Marcello D'Armas (BUM) def. Joao Casagrande (GCSU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Emanuel Fraitzl/Max Wimmer (BUM) def. Erick Siqueira/Justin Pickham (GCSU) 8-6
2. Ales Svigelj/Andrew Sharnov (BUM) def. Joao Casagrande/Francis Yoshimoto (GCSU) 8-4
3. Jakub Fejfar/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Max Beliankou/Robert Angelucci (GCSU) 8-2
Georgia College 18-3; National ranking #7
Barry 25-2; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (,6,5)