MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The fourth-ranked Barry Buccaneers ran roughshod over the ninth-ranked West Florida Argonauts 5-0 in the semifinals of the 2010 NCAA Division II Men’s Tennis South Region-II Tournament.
The Bucs (20-4), who narrowly escaped 6-3 in the previous meeting with the Argonauts (12-11), used a re-configured doubles lineup to build a huge lead to start the match.
Marco Mokrzycki and Emanuel Fraitzl dominated Andrey Pozhidaev and Mike Lue 8-1 at the number two flight. At number three, Andrew Sharnov and Sergio Velez beat Sean Gunnels and Patrick Bateman 8-4.
The tenth-ranked pair of Ales Svigelj and Max Wimmer pulled a big upset, knocking off sixth-ranked Kevin Ducros and Leandro Ferreira 8-5.
In singles, UWF’s Ferreira, ranked 21st in the ITA national rankings, was forced to withdraw, moving everyone up the ladder. At number three, #32 Fraitzl, who had won at number three in the earlier match with the Argos, ripped through Sean Gunnels 6-2, 6-0.
The Bucs’ Mokrzycki, ranked #16, stunned eighth-ranked Ducros at number one 6-3, 6-4, serving three straight aces after being down 40-30 in the final game. Ducros had won the previous meeting between the two.
The Bucs led with first-set wins at numbers two, four and five, while the Argonauts took the first set at six in the unfinished matches.
The Bucs will now face the second-seeded Ouachita Baptist Tigers in the finals. The Tigers knocked off #3 Florida Southern 5-2 in the other semifinal. The championship match is slated to begin at 2:00 pm on Saturday, May 8, following the women’s championship at 8:30 am.
Tennis Match Results
West Florida vs Barry
05/07/10 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#4 Barry 5, #9 West Florida 0
1. #16 Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) def. #8 Kevin Ducros (UWF) 6-3, 6-4
2. #36 Ales Svigelj (BUM) vs. #23 Andrey Pozhidaev (UWF) 7-5, 2-1, unfinished
3. #32 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. Sean Gunnels (UWF) 6-2, 6-0
4. Max Wimmer (BUM) vs. Nathan Rosenfeld (UWF) 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
5. Andrew Sharnov (BUM) vs. Patrick Bateman (UWF) 7-6 (9-7), 1-2, unfinished
6. Sergio Velez (BUM) vs. Mike Lue (UWF) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
1. #10 Ales Svigelj/Max Wimmer (BUM) def. #6 Kevin Ducros/Leandro Ferreira (UWF) 8-5
2. Marco Mokrzycki/Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. Andrey Pozhidaev/Mike Lue (UWF) 8-1
3. Andrew Sharnov/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Sean Gunnels/Patrick Bateman (UWF) 8-3
West Florida 12-11; National ranking #9
Barry 20-4; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (,3,1)
Barry advances to the final on Saturday at 2 pm against the Ouachita Baptist/Florida Southern winner