ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.—In first round action of the NCAA DII Women’s Tennis Championships, the Barry women’s tennis team breezed through the Nebraska-Kearney Antelopes 5-0 on Wednesday.
In doubles, the Lopes took no more than three sets in every match. The third flight of Mia Fiocca and Berit Peterson finished first, defeating Neb.-Kearney’s Claire Bryan and Melissa Lyster 8-2.
The top pair and #3 ranked team of Barbi Pocza and Yulia Kashelkina finished next and gave Barry a 2-0 lead. Pocza/Kashelkina captured an 8-3 win over Kristen Messbarger and Katie-Mary Outhwaite.
Cleaning up doubles and completing the sweep were the team of Julie Stas and Angie Werschel. The number two team for the Bucs defeated Nickola Messbarger and Mizuki Takahashi 8-3.
After doubles, Barry quickly took two singles matches and captured the win. Finishing first and taking her 20th win on the year, was sophomore Caroline Wendling. Wendling blanked Neb.-Kearney’s Bryan 6-0, 6-0. The sophomore ties her career high in singles wins.
Receiving the starting nod at the number five spot in the singles was Stas. Stas responded with a convincing 6-2, 6-0 win. Stas’ knockout gives her six singles wins on the season. The win over Messberger clinched the match and advanced the Buccaneers to the quarterfinals.
Barry now faces the biggest challenge of the year in the quarterfinals match. Awaiting the Bucs is the undefeated defending national champion and top team in the nation, Armstrong Atlantic. Armstrong defeated Northeastern St. 5-0 on Wednesday as well.
Barry faced the Pirates of Armstrong earlier in the year and took an 8-1 loss on March 13.
The match is set for 9:00 a.m. Live stats coverage is available through the NCAA homepage. Additionally, the Barry Sports Information Department will provide a live blog.
Tennis Match Results
Barry vs Neb.-Kearney
05/12/10 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
#2 Barry 5, Neb.-Kearney 0
1. Kristen Messbarger (NKU) vs. #5 Barbi Pocza (BU) 1-6, 1-3, unfinished
2. Katie-Mary Outhwaite (NKU) vs. #12 Angie Werschel (BU) 2-6, 0-3, unfinished
3. Mizuki Takahashi (NKU) vs. Yulia Kashelkina (BU) 2-6, 3-2, unfinished
4. Caroline Wendling (BU) def. Claire Bryan (NKU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Julie Stas (BU) def. Nickola Messberger (NKU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Melissa Lyster (NKU) vs. Darina Yablonskaya (BU) 2-6, 1-2, unfinished
1. #3 Barbi Pocza/Yulia Kashelkina (BU) def. Kristen Messbarger/Katie-Mary Outhwaite (NKU) 8-3
2. Julie Stas/Angie Werschel (BU) def. Nickola Messberger/Mizuki Takahashi (NKU) 8-3
3. Mia Fiocca/Berit Peterson (BU) def. Claire Bryan/Melissa Lyster (NKU) 8-2
Barry 23-3; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (,4,5)
2010 NCAA Division II Women's Championship
Round of 16
Women's Tennis Blanks Lopes and Moves to Quarterfinals
Posted On : May 12, 2010