MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The fourth-ranked Barry Buccaneers were scuttled 6-3 by the second-ranked Pirates of Armstrong Atlantic in men’s tennis action at Buccaneer Tennis Center on Friday.
The Bucs (15-6) started out strong, taking two of three doubles. Quentin Vachez and Marco Mokrzycki knocked off Pedro Scocuglia and Matus Mydla 8-5 at number two, while Sergio Velez and Ollie Lemaitre remained unbeaten with an 8-4 win over Eudaldo Bonet and Daniel Regan at number three.
At the top spot, the Bucs’ fourth-ranked pair Emanuel Fraitzl and Max Wimmer could not handle the nation’s top team Rafael Array and Mikk Irdoja, as the Pirates (20-0) claimed their only doubles point 8-3.
In singles, AASU proved too much for the Bucs winning five of six. Velez salvaged the only win for Barry, beating Regan in a super-set after splitting the first two. Regan won set one 6-4, but Velez rebounded to even the match with a 6-3 win, then prevailed in the super-set 11-9.
The Bucs close the regular season on Saturday, April 9 as they host the Hilltoppers of St. Edward’s University.
Tennis Match Results
Armstrong Atlantic vs Barry
04/08/11 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#2 Armstrong Atlantic 6, #4 Barry 3
1. #1 Eudaldo Bonet (AASUM) def. #26 Max Wimmer (BUM) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
2. #4 Mikk Irdoja (AASUM) def. #6 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
3. #24 Matus Mydla (AASUM) def. #44 Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) 6-2, 6-1
4. #25 Rafael Array (AASUM) def. Quentin Vachez (BUM) 6-2, 6-3
5. Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Daniel Regan (AASUM) 4-6, 6-3, 11-9
6. Pedro Scocuglia (AASUM) def. Ollie Lemaitre (BUM) 7-5, 6-2
1. #1 Rafael Array/Mikk Irdoja (AASUM) def. #4 Emanuel Fraitzl/Max Wimmer (BUM) 8-3
2. Quentin Vachez/Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) def. Pedro Scocuglia/Matus Mydla (AASUM) 8-5
3. Sergio Velez/Ollie Lemaitre (BUM) def. Eudaldo Bonet/Daniel Regan (AASUM) 8-4
Armstrong Atlantic 20-0; National ranking #2
Barry 15-6; National ranking #4