MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The Barry Buccaneer rebounded from Friday’s loss to top-ranked Armstrong Atlantic with an 8-1 win over the sixth-ranked Hilltoppers of St. Edward’s at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Saturday.
The Bucs (16-6) swept the doubles. Barry’s fourth-ranked pair Emanuel Fraitzl and Max Wimmer worked overtime to beat the #28 team of Mick Walter and Ned Boone in a tie-breaker 9-8 (3) at the top flight. The Bucs prevailed in easier fashion at the bottom two flights, with Marco Mokrzycki and Quentin Vachez knocking off Rayn Wiggins and Pedro Bronstrup 8-6 at number two. Sergio Velez and Ollie Lemaitre continued their unbeaten streak to 12 straight with an 8-3 win over Alexandre Bueno and James Rogers at three.
The Bucs won five of the five of the six singles in straight sets. Vachez nearly shut out Bronstrup at number four, winning 6-0, 6-1. Velez closed strong in a 6-4, 6-0 win over Rogers at number five. At three, #44 Mokzycki posted a solid 6-3, 6-3 win over Wiggins.
At the top two flights in matchups of ranked players, the Bucs took both matches. At the top flight, #26 Wimmer dispatched #49 Walter 6-1, 6-4, while #6 Fraitzl handled #48 Boone 6-3, 6-1 at number two.
The Hilltoppers (8-6) picked up their only point after the team match was decided. Barry’s Lemaitre and SEU’s Bueno split sets, with Bueno taking the super set for the win, 6-2, 4-6, 10-8.
The Bucs, the top seed, travels to the Sunshine State Conference Tournament at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Fla., Apr. 14-16. They have a bye in the first round and face the winner of #4 Florida Southern vs. #5 Saint Leo in the semifinals.
Tennis Match Results
St. Edward's vs Barry
04/09/11 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#4 Barry 8, #6 St. Edward's 1
1. #26 Max Wimmer (BUM) def. #49 Mick Walter (SEUM) 6-1, 6-4
2. #6 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. #48 Ned Boone (SEUM) 6-3, 6-1
3. #44 Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) def. Rayn Wiggins (SEUM) 6-3, 6-3
4. Quentin Vachez (BUM) def. Pedro Bronstrup (SEUM) 6-0, 6-1
5. Sergio Velez (BUM) def. James Rogers (SEUM) 6-4, 6-0
6. Alexandre Bueno (SEUM) def. Ollie Lemaitre (BUM) 6-2, 4-6, 10-8
1. #4 Emanuel Fraitzl/Max Wimmer (BUM) def. #28 Mick Walter/Ned Boone (SEUM) 9-8 (7-3)
2. Marco Mokrzycki/Quentin Vachez (BUM) def. Rayn Wiggins/Pedro Bronstrup (SEUM) 8-6
3. Sergio Velez/Ollie Lemaitre (BUM) def. Alexandre Bueno/James Rogers (SEUM) 8-3
St. Edward's 8-6; National ranking #6
Barry 16-6; National ranking #4