Distinguished Alumni Awards
|Chefs William Lopez-Guerrero and Luis Garcia from The Oceanaire in Miami prepare culinary delights for more than 200 guests and honorees at the Grove Isle Hotel & Spa in Coconut Grove, Florida, November 15.
Ten Barry University alumni were honored November 15, 2008, at the second annual Distinguished Alumni Awards at the Grove Isle Hotel & Spa in Coconut Grove. The evening began with a cocktail reception followed by dinner and the awards ceremony.
At this year’s event, more than 200 guests and honorees, including Barry University President Sister Linda Bevilacqua, OP, PhD, and members of the Alumni Board of Directors and Barry Board of Trustees, were treated to a culinary competition featuring four noted Florida chefs. Andres Corton from the Black Bean Deli (Orlando), William Guerrero from The Oceanaire (Miami), Kris Wessel from Red Light (Miami), and Phillip Harbin from the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa (Coconut Grove), contributed dishes to the menu. At the end of dinner, guests were given the opportunity to score the dishes based on creativity, presentation and taste. Corton beat out the competition to be named the “Barry Distinguished Chef.” All proceeds from the event benefited the Barry University Alumni Scholarship Fund.
The Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor given to alumni by Barry University through the Alumni Association. The award honors Barry alumni who have made outstanding contributions to their professions and their communities. It also recognizes those who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to Barry University and its mission. The 2008 Distinguished Alumni Awards were given to:
- Louise McCormick, ’69 (College of Health and Sciences)
- Pamela Simonton, ’71 (College of Arts and Sciences)
- Dr. Janis Smith, ’02 (Adrian Dominican School of Education)
- Greg Greene, ’88 (School of Business)
- Bradley Haves, DPM, ’90 (School of Graduate Medical Sciences)
- Steve Stowe,’03 (School of Human Performance and Leisure Sciences)
- Eric V. Hires, Esq., ‘94 (School of Law)
- Dr. Neta Kolasa, ‘75 (School of Social Work)
- Billy Cypress,’00 (School of Adult and Continuing Education)
- Sister Carol Coston, OP, ’62 (2008 Distinguished Adrian Dominican Alumna Award).