Barry University Scholarships
Barry Scholarships are awarded annually to talented incoming freshmen and transfer students based on scholastic achievement. Scholarships may be renewable providing the recipient maintains a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or above.
Sr. Judith Shield, O.P. Endowed Scholarship
Sr. Judith Shield, O.P., 'Madre' of the Andreas School of Business and former Dean, is being honored by her friends, colleagues and former students with an endowed scholarship. Qualified students are invited to apply.
- Full-time Junior or Senior in the Andreas School of Business
- Completed at least one year at Barry
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Active member of a student organization
- Application forms may be obtained from the office of the Dean, Andreas School of Business.
- Write a 250 word essay on: The Role of Ethics in Business
- Obtain two letters of recommendation (one from within Barry, one from outside)
The actual amount of this annual scholarship will depend upon the state of the endowment but will be no less than $500.00.
Dr. Lloyd D. Elgart Memorial Scholarship
This endowed scholarship, donated by friends and colleagues of Dr. Lloyd D. Elgart-Dean, professor and friend of the University- is granted annually to a full-time undergraduate sophomore or junior major in the Andreas School of Business or in the English Department.
Nature of the Scholarship
The Lloyd D. Elgart Scholarship is awarded annually to a student who, in order to pursue an education, has demonstrated courage or determination in meeting personal challenges. Although financial need and grades are taken into account, this is primarily a scholarship related to character. As example, several prior recipients have successfully coped with difficult family responsibilities, disabilities or extraordinary financial hardship.
- Sophomore or Junior
- Full-time, undergraduate
- Major in the Andreas School of Business or in the Department of English
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA
Method for Applying
- An essay entitled "Getting an Education Has Not Been Easy" of approximately four to five pages, typed and double space, addressing the criteria above.
- A brief resume should be attached (include e-mail address)
- Submit to the office of the Dean (Business or Arts & Sciences). Check with the office for last day of submission.
The actual amount of the scholarship is determined by the yield of the endowed scholarship, which fluctuates in accordance with the securities market. However, the award will be minimally $2000.
The recipient of the scholarship will be acknowledged during the Honors Convocation in May.
Additional Scholarship Resources
Hispanic Scholarship fund
www.dadecommunityfoundation.orgNational Association of Purchasing Management
www.napm.orgFlorida Bankers Educational Foundation Scholarship (FBEF)