For Mentors - eBUC$ Connections
About eBUC$ Connections
eBUC$ Connections is an opportunity for Barry alumni to develop relationships with current students by becoming mentors. Mentors can share information, resources and offer industry knowledge by providing informational interviews, mock interviews, shadowing opportunities and other related career development activities. Please sign up on eBUC$ Connections and let us know how you would like to be involved. To register, it is QUICK and EASY!
eBUC$ Connections is an online connection to Barry Alumni. Our mission is to provide opportunities for current students to seek out Barry Alumni that would be interested in being Mentors. While students will learn to network and develop professional skills, mentors will derive various benefits as well:
- Enhance leadership skills by coaching students from diverse backgrounds.
- Enrich the Barry community by offering industry knowledge.
- Contribute to the success of forthcoming workforce.
- Develop and retain potential talent for organizational needs.
Our vision is to increase career opportunities awareness among current Barry students and to engage Barry alumni in the life of the campus community.
- To develop a mentorship program connecting Barry alumni and current students.
- To assist students in their career development.
- To increase alumni involvement in the Barry community.
- To create win-win partnerships between mentors and mentees.
Role and Responsibilities
Your role as an alumnus mentor is to guide, assist, and listen to the mentees within a vocational context. You may share information about your own education and career development. You may also give guidance on career paths after graduation by providing resources and industry knowledge to the mentees. You should be a trusted guide and positive role model. However, you are not expected to assist the mentees with personal problems by taking on the role of a therapist or even parent. Your role is to help the mentees develop professional skills and make career decisions. When you register, you will be able to select which mentoring activity or activities you wish to be involved in. The different mentoring activities you will be able to select from are:
- Conduct information interviews: You will provide resources and industry knowledge to the mentees. It should not be confused with job interviews.
- Conduct mock interview: You will try to resemble a real interview and provide feedback on ways to improve interviewing skills to the mentee. A mock interview is an emulation of an interview used for training purposes.
- E-mail networking with students: You will give the opportunity to the mentees to network with you and share information about your own education, career development and industry knowledge.
- Shadowing: You will offer the opportunity to the mentees to experience your day-to-day duties by observing what you do while you work.
- Speak on industry specific panel discussions: You may be invited to participate in a panel discussion at Barry University. As a panelist, you will share information about your own education, career development and industry knowledge.
When you register, if you select "show contact information", students will be able to see your actual contact information, but it will only show those fields that you select as "Yes" to show. If you select anonymous, students will not be able to see your actual contact information, but they will be allowed to send you an e-mail through our system. Finally, you can also decide the maximum number of contacts from individual students you wish to allow per month. There is no set time requirement to spend on the mentoring activities. Knowing you are volunteering your time, you will have a complete control over time commitment.
How to Register
Please sign up on eBUC$ Connections and let us know how you would like to be involved. To register, it is QUICK and EASY!
Click here to register: www.myinterfase.com/barry/mentor