Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the purpose of the authorization form?

    In compliance with Federal regulations, the University must obtain the voluntary permission from the student (or parent if a Parent PLUS loan) to apply Federal Student Aid to pay charges related to a prior term or charges other than tuition, fees and room & board on the student account.

  • What types of Federal Student Aid are parts of Title IV funds?

    Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans, PLUS loans, Perkins loans, Pell Grants, SEOG, TEACH Grant and any other federal aid. The University does not need authorization to apply funds from a private loan to any charges incurred.

  • Will allowing permission to apply Federal Student Aid help me?

    Yes. By allowing permission any excess federal aid could be applied to a prior term or other charges such as Health Insurance or ID charges. More importantly, this will help prevent an "account hold" due to unpaid charges, which could block registering for future terms or receiving official documents such as transcripts or diplomas.

  • Do I need to give permission each term to use Federal Student Aid for all charges?

    No. once you give permission it remains in affect while you are enrolled at the University. Permission may be rescinded at any time.

  • How do I give permission to use Federal Student Aid to cover all my charges incurred while enrolled at Barry?

    You will receive an e-mail directing you to Web Advisor to give permission to use Federal Student Aid to cover all your charges. At the same time forms will be available in the Cashier Business Office.

  • I do not currently receive Federal Student Aid do I need to complete the authorization form?

    All students are being asked for their authorization. If at some point in the future you do receive Federal Student Aid this authorization will already be in place.

  • What will change if I provide authorization for the use of my Federal Student Aid?

    Nothing will change from what is being done now. You will be continuing to allow the University to use your Federal Student Aid to cover all charges on your account.