Javier Gonzalez, PhD
PhD, Curriculum and Instruction with specialization in Early Childhood Education, Barry University
Dr. Javier Gonzalez is the Coordinator of Field Experiences and Internship in the Curriculum and Instruction Department with over 25 years of experience in the field of early childhood and elementary education. He earned his PhD in Curriculum and Instruction with a cognate specialty in Early Childhood Education from Barry University in 2011. Dr. Gonzalez has taught in the Dade County Public Schools as well as for the private sector. He also taught at Florida International University, Kennesaw State University and Chattahoochee Technical College. His teaching interests include historical /contemporary perspectives in curriculum, child development, and positive classroom engagement. Dr. Gonzalez has presented at numerous state, regional and national conferences. He is also a member of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI). His current research interests include pro-social classrooms, high stakes testing and also teasing, aggression and bullying in young children.
Selected Publications: Articles (Refereed)
- Gonzalez, J. (2014). Perceptions of kindergarten teachers regarding systemic constraints in teaching and learning. Contrapontos, 14(1), 4-28.
- Conde, L. & Gonzalez, J. (2014). Play with clay: The use of clay to increase sensory motor integration. Children Our Concern Journal, 6 (1), 8-16.
Selected Presentations at Professional Meetings:
- Conde, L., Gonzalez, J., & Turegon, M. (2013). Young mathematicians: Constructing 3-dimensional shapes as aligned with Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Presentation for the 57th Annual Early Childhood Association of Florida Conference, Orlando, Fl.
- Conde, L. & Gonzalez, J. (2012) Play with clay: Increasing sensory motor integration. Presentation For the 57th Annual Childhood Association of Florida Conference.
- Gonzalez, J. ( 2012). The issue of classroom bullying. Annual Teaching & School Leadership Conference. Association of Independent Schools of Florida (AISF) Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention Center, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Gonzalez, J. (2010). Pro-social classrooms in violent times. Presentation for the 55th Annual Childhood Association of Florida Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Gonzalez, J. (2009). Boys will be boys or bullying? Presentation for the 54rd Annual Early Childhood Association of Florida Conference, Orlando, FL.
- DiBello, L. & Gonzalez, J. (2007). Enhancing the education of migrant children through family literacy: An Even Start Project. Research paper presented at the Annual. Association for Childhood Educational International Conference, Tampa, FL.