Gerene K. Starratt, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
PhD, Psychology (specializations: cognition and electrophysiology), Florida Atlantic University
MA, Psychology (specializations: cognition and electrophysiology), Florida Atlantic University
BA, Psychology (minor: Philosophy), Chatham College
Dr. Starratt teaches research methods and statistics courses in ADSOE’s undergraduate and graduate programs. She is involved in a number of education research projects in Broward County Public Schools and Miami-Dade County Public Schools and is a founding member of the South Florida Education Research Alliance. Her research interests include metacognition, program evaluation, Professional Learning Communities, Ninth Grade Academies, and Teacher Leadership. Dr. Starratt is the Coordinator for Barry University’s Stamps Leadership Scholars Program.
- Starratt, G. K., Baum, R. G., & Clement, R. W. (2008, August). Investigating Student Success: An Alternate Graduation Rate to Assess Outcomes for Non-Mobile Students. ERS Spectrum, 26(3), 7-20.
- Starratt, G. & Nash, A. J. (2004). An alternative baseline measure for the calculation of the mismatch negativity (MMN) component of the event-related potential (ERP). International Journal of Psychophysiology, 51, 201-208.
- Newman, I., Clement, R. W., Starratt, G. K., Valbrun-Pope, M., Marinaccio Eckel, P., Gallagher, S., Noelliste, M., Williams, J., Bliss, L., Ban, R., Türegün, M., Perkins, S., & Ligas, M. R. (2013, February). An evaluation of Broward County Public Schools Initiative to Foster Black Male Success. Symposium to be presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Educational Research Association, Sarasota, FL.
- Newman, I., Hecht, S., Ligas, M. R., Marinaccio-Eckel, P., Bliss, L., Clement, R., Wright, M., Houchens, P., & Starratt, G. K. (2013, February) Developing a rubric to estimate fidelity of implementation of Common Core State Standards related teaching practices for Broward County Public Schools, the nation’s sixth largest school district.Paper to be presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Educational Research Association, Sarasota, FL.
- Ligas, M. R., Newman, I., Starratt, G. K., Mills, D., Hecht, S., Rios, S., & Ban, R. (2012, February). On Developing a Collaborative Consortium between Universities and a Public School System: A Discussion of the Process, Implications, Procedures, and Roadblocks. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Educational Research Association, Hilton Head Island, SC.
- Legters, N. E., Starratt G. K., Black, A., & Rappaport, S. (2011, April). Evaluating ninth grade academy implementation in Broward County Public Schools (BCPS), Florida: Initial findings. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA.