Welcome to the Office of Disability Services
The Office of Disability Services (ODS) provides equal access for students with disabilities to all curricular and co-curricular opportunities offered by Barry University. In addition, the office provides leadership and guidance to the campus community to ensure compliance with legal requirements for equal access, while enhancing understanding and support of students with disabilities.
The office fosters Barry University’s supportive environment through its one-on-one relationships with students. It strives to provide a holistic educational experience that prepares each student to be united and equal with the non-disabled population, while assuring their human and legal rights.
ODS provides reasonable accommodations to those students attending Barry University with a documented disability. Accommodations are provided on a case-by-case basis in compliance with all federal and state laws.
To be eligible for accommodations with the Office of Disability Services, you must be enrolled at Barry University and provide appropriate documentation of your disability demonstrating a substantial limitation to one or more major life activities.
Register With The ODS
- Fill out an ODS intake form online at www.barry.edu/disability-services/forms
- Provide a copy of your current class schedule
- Provide appropriate documentation (see documentation guidelines inside)
- After the above items have been submitted, you will be required to set up an intake appointment with an ODS counselor. At this meeting, you and your counselor will develop an individual accommodation plan based on your current documentation and disability. Should your accommodations need to be adjusted at any time, you will need to set up an additional meeting with your counselor. If you require additional accommodations, you may be asked to provide additional documentation to substantiate the request.
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Blind and Visually Impairment
- Deaf and /or hard of hearing
- Learning Disabilities
- Physical Impairments
- Psychiatric / Psychological Disorders
- Temporary Disabilities
Each student who registers with the Office of Disability Services works with a Disability Service Counselor to develop an individual accommodation plan. This plan is devised to determine specific services you will require during your time at Barry University.
The following are a few of the accommodations and services commonly requested through the Office of Disability Services. This is not intended to be a comprehensive list.
- Four-function calculator
- Extended time
- Adapted writing surface
- Distraction Reduced Environment
- Cassette player/recorder
- Priority registration
- Registration assistance
- Sign language interpreters
- Textbooks on CD
- Volunteer note takers
- Assist students in self-advocating
- Campus disability awareness programs
- Classroom and learning strategies
- Faculty development
- Letters to instructors
- Pre-admission counseling
The Office of Disability Services will arrange for any accommodations that are reasonable and do not compromise academic standards.
Tutoring services are not offered through the Office of Disability Services. However, there are many tutoring services available to all students, such as the Writing Lab, the Math Lab, and tutors sponsored by various departments.
This website is for general information only. Note that services or accommodations received from other institutions may not be automatically granted at Barry University. Please contact the Office of Disability Services for specific information concerning your needs. The Office of Disability Services reserves the right to change information at any time.