Rev. Jorge L. Presmanes, OP, DMin
Associate Professor of Theology
Director, Institute for Hispanic/Latino Theology and Ministry
Reverend Presmanes joined the Barry faculty in 2004. He is a Dominican Friar of the Province of St. Martin de Porres. He earned his Bachelor of Arts with a major in Philosophy from Georgia State University in Atlanta, GA, a Master of Arts in Theology and a Master of Divinity from The Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, and The Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, CA, and a Doctor of Ministry from Barry University in Miami, FL.
Before coming to Barry University, Rev. Presmanes was the Pastor of St. Dominic Church in Miami, FL, and a professor at the Southeast Pastoral Institute in Miami, FL. His main professional interests are in practical theology, U.S. Hispanic/Latino theology and ministry, and theology and cinema. He is currently the President of the Board of the Congar Institute for Ministry Development.
- THE 201 - Theology: Faith, Beliefs, Traditions
- THE 304 - Theology through Film
- THE 331 - Christianity and Culture
- THE 342 - Salvation, Liberation, and Politics
- THE 632 - Hispanic/Latino Ministry and Practical Theology
- THE 662 - Theologies of Liberation
- THE 664 - Theology of Evangelization
- THE 716 - Latino(a) Popular Religiosity and its Ethics of Solidarity
- THE 718 - Liturgy and Preaching in Latino Congregations
- RSP 565 - Anthropology & Spirituality of Hispanics
- Preaching and Culture in Latino Congregations, with Kenneth Davis.(Chicago: LTP, 2000).
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Inculturation as Evangelization: The Dialogue of Faith and Culture in the Work of Marcello Azevedo.” U.S. Catholic Historian 30 (Winter 2012) 59-76.
- “He Interpreted for Them the Scripture: The Bible and Preaching.” In The Word of God & Latino Catholics. Eds. Jean-Pierre Ruiz and Mario Paredes (New York: American Bible Society, 2012) 203-212.
- Spanish language translation: “Le explicó la Escritura: la Biblia y la predicación.” In La Palabra de Dios y los católicos latinos. Eds. Jean-Pierre Ruiz and Mario Paredes (New York: American Bible Society, 2012) 211-222.
- “All Theology is Local: Hispanic Ministries and U.S. Latino(a) Theology,” with Alicia Marill. In Hispanic Ministry in the 21st Century: Present and Future. Ed. Hosffman Ospino (Miami: Convivium Press, 2010) 81-98 [297-314 Spanish translation].
- “The Moral Life: Covenant, Conscience, and Conversion.” In Theology: Faith, Belief, Traditions. Ed. Gloria Schaab. (Dubuque: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2010) 85-102.
- Revised and expanded: “The Moral Life: Covenant, Conscience, and Conversion.” In Faith Seeking Expression: Religious Beliefs and Traditions. Ed. Gloria Schaab. (Dubuque: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2012) 85-102.
- “Theologies of Liberation,” with Gloria Schaab. In Theology: Faith, Belief, Traditions. Ed. Gloria Schaab. (Dubuque: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2010) 255-292.
- Revised and expanded: “Theologies of Liberation,” with Gloria Schaab. In Faith Seeking Expression: Religious Beliefs and Traditions. Ed. Gloria Schaab. (Dubuque: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2012) 329-366.
- “Reconciliation from Both Sides of the Florida Straits.” The Parable 2 (Fall 2007) 24-28.
- “Bilingual Liturgy: A U.S. Latino Perspective.” Liturgical Ministry 16 (Summer 2007) 139-146.
- “Preaching and Contemplation: The Quest for Divine Meanings and Purposes.” At Home in Wisdom’s Tent. Ed. Nadine Foley. (Adrian: Adrian Dominican Sisters, 2007) 74-77.
- “Go Forward in Hope for the Promises of the Lord Will Be Fulfilled.” In The Treasure of Guadalupe. Ed. Virgilio Elizondo, Allan Figueroa Deck, and Timothy Matovina. (New York: Roman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2006) 25-30.
- “Preaching the Social Mission of the Church in the Hispanic/Latino Parish,” with Mark Wedig. Preaching the Teaching: Preaching Social Justice Documents of the Church in the Hispanic Context. (University of Scranton Press, 2005) 60-67.
- “The Dominican Tradition and Inculturation: A U.S. Hispanic/Latino Perspective.” In Conversation and Collaboration: A Vision for the Dominican Mission in the New Century. (Miami: CDS, 2001) 58-63.
- “The Juxtaposition of Dangerous Memories: Toward a Latino Theology of Preaching.” In Preaching and Culture in Latino Congregations. Ed. Kenneth Davis and Jorge Presmanes. (Chicago: LTP, 2000) 5-26.
- “From Chiles in the Melting Pot to Saffron in the Arroz con Pollo,” In Preaching and Culture in Latino Congregations. Ed. Kenneth Davis and Jorge Presmanes. (Chicago: LTP, 2000) 140-143.