Bioethics Council Lectures
The Barry University Council on Bioethics considering Catholic responses to contemporary healthcare challenges and The Department of Theology and Philosophy St. Thomas and St. Catherine Lecture Series
On January 24, 2012, Barry University was honored to have Nuala Kenny, OC, MD, present "Neuroethics and the Neuroscience of Morality."
Dr. Kenny is professor emeritus in the Department of Bioethics at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. A fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPS) and certified by the American Board of Pediatrics, she is an advisor to the Catholic Health Alliance of Canada and serves on the board of Covenant Health, Alberta.
Kenny, a distinguished author, internationally recognized educator, and physician ethicist, has won numerous awards for her work, including the Performance Citation Award from the Catholic Health Association of Canada. She was a visiting scholar at the Hastings Center for Bioethics in New York and was the founding member of the Governing Council of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Health Council of Canada, and Canadian Doctors for Medicare.
Previous guests in our Barry University Council on Bioethics (BUCB) lecture series have included:
- David F. Kelly, PhD, Professor emeritus of theology and health care Duquesne University
- Metti Amirtham, SCC, PhD, Woodstock Theological Center International Visiting Fellow, Georgetown University
- Maria Cimperman, OSU, PhD, Oblate School of Theology, San Antonio
- Ronald M. Green, PhD, Dartmouth College
- Daniel F. Sulmasy, OFM, MD, PhD, New York Medical Center and St. Vincent Catholic Medical Centers, Manhattan
- Emilie Townes, PhD, Union Theological Seminary
- Robin N. Fiore, PhD, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton
- Vigen Guroian, PhD, Loyola College, Baltimore
- Kevin O'Rourke, OP, STM, JCD,St. Louis University
- Cynthia Crysdale, Ph.D, Catholic University of America
- James F. Keenan, SJ, PhD, Weston Jesuit School of Theology
- James F. Drane, PhD, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
- Andrew Lustig, PhD, Rice University
- Marilyn Martone, PhD, St. John's University
- Rev. Bryan Massingale, STD, CTSA President, Marquette University
- Metti Amirtham, SCC, PhD, a field-based theologian received a PhD from the University of Madras, India.
For more information on the annual lecture and on the BUCB series contact Mary Jo Iozzio, PhD, at email@example.com.
The mission of the Barry University Council on Bioethics is to present the Catholic moral traditions on matters of healthcare clearly and forthrightly, and to offer dialogue partners and opportunities for continuing education to the professional and lay communities of Florida.