Master of Science in Education (Optional)
If you would like to continue your education with a master's degree, you can transition seamlessly into our one-year Master of Science in Education program. Bachelor of Science in Education with Master of Science (a.k.a BS/MS in Education program) may be complete in five years and builds on what you learn in your undergraduate studies.
Benefits of Seamlessly Obtaining Your Bachelor's and Master's Degree in Education:
- Speed up your career path; a traditional bachelor's and master's degree taken separately typically takes an additional 1-2 years.
- During the MS in Education program, teach full time during the day under the supervision of an experienced teacher, while taking classes at night.
- Have an easier time obtaining a teaching certification in other states if you do not wish to stay in Florida.
- Receive a higher salary than teachers with just a bachelor's degree once you enter the job market.
- More career options such as TESOL Specialist, Reading Coach, and Content Area Specialist.
Mentorship Program - Master of Science in Education:
While you are mentored all along the way in your undergraduate program, the Master of Science in Education provides a strong mentorship program to help you further develop as a teacher-leader.
If you choose to move forward with the Master of Science in Education, you gain another year of classroom experience by working as a full-time teacher during the day and taking classes at night. You are mentored by an experienced teacher as you execute the classroom curriculum for the year.
In order to be admitted, you must meet the following requirements by your second semester junior year:
- completion of all Barry University distribution requirements with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- passing all 4 sections of the General Knowledge (GK) Exam of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE)
- must have a grade of "C" or better in each core content area course in English, mathematics, science and social sciences
- demonstrated computer proficiency (CGS 1060 or equivalent, CS 180, CAT 102 or an acceptable score on the computer challenge test)
- copy of fingerprint security clearance
- 3.0 overall GPA
- No grades of "F", "I", or "IP" remaining on transcript
- Complete all degree, certification and endorsement requirements, and internship requirements
- Must have applied for graduation and paid appropriate fees
If you're not sure if you want to enter the BS/MS option, don't worry. You don't have to decide right now. We recommend scheduling an appointment with us to talk about your options that will help meet your professional goals.
Dr. Sam Perkins, Director of the of the BS/MS in Education Program
305-899-4826 or firstname.lastname@example.org