Bachelor of Science in Education
Our bachelor's degree program emphasizes the content areas that prepare students to be classroom-ready by the time they graduate. Students are able to choose a content area minor in Math, Science, Literature or Social Sciences, as well as receive Reading and ESOL endorsements. Students also gain hands-on experience by interning at a school during their senior year of undergraduate studies.
During the first year in the program, students will choose from one of three education specializations:
- Infancy Through Early Childhood Education (Birth-3rd Grade)
- Early and Middle Childhood Education (K-6th Grade)
- Special Education (K-12th Grade)
By focusing on one particular track, students will gain the expertise necessary to become more confident and more hirable in their areas of interest. Some students also pursue a second degree in another area such as English Literature, Mathematics, and Biology, to build upon their expertise within a subject they love.
Master of Science in Education (Optional)
If you would like to continue your education with a master's degree, you can transition seamlessly into our one-year Master of Science in Education program. This program builds on what you learn in your undergraduate studies.
As students work toward their Bachelor of Science in Education (with Master of Science), they will develop a foundation around four core themes that are woven throughout all coursework.
- Social Justice - encourages students to become strong advocates for social change in educational settings through teacher leadership roles and opportunities.
- Socio/Political/Community Contexts - produces effective teaching professionals that are empowered to meet the needs of students and their communities.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving - facilitates critical reflection upon social and political opportunities in order to be responsible and responsive citizens.
- Professional Development - enhances their own professional development through their own critical analysis of their knowledge, skills and dispositions.