Minor in Spanish or French
The Spanish and French minor programs are designed for students who wish to enhance their chosen field of studies. Think about it.
As a Barry University student you will have an excellent opportunity to study a useful international foreign language, regardless of your major. A minor in Spanish or French will:
- Open new doors in your chosen career.
- Enhance your knowledge of another culture.
- Widen your horizons about values, history, and behavior in a second country.
- Enable you to communicate in more than one language in the field of business, government, law, or international relations to communicate with clients, diplomats, and employees.
- Provide personal health care to thousands of patients around the world if you enter the health care professions.
- Enhance your ability to pursue job opportunities in multiple fields of communication including newspapers, magazines, radio, television, and the Internet.
Minor in Spanish
The Spanish minor is available under two options:
a) A general minor consisting of 21 credit hours in Spanish and b) the Certificate Program in Translation and Interpretation consists of 21 credit hours with the option of a 6 credit-hour internship.
Up to 6 credits in Spanish will be granted for CLEP upon completion of 6 credits in residence, according to placement. The level of competency will be determined by the Foreign Language faculty.
Up to 6 credits in Spanish at the 200-level will be granted to students passing the language and/or literature Advanced Placement examination with a score of 4 or more.
Certificate Program in Translation and Interpretation
ENG 410 Advanced English Grammar
SPA315 Reading and Writing I
SPA316 Reading and Writing II
SPA325 Introduction to Translation
SPA 326 Introduction to Interpretation
SPA 425 Advanced/Techniques of Translation
SPA 426 Advanced Techniques of Interpretation
SPA 499 Internship