Bahamas Cohorts: MS in ESE and Autism Endorsement
Barry University provides you with the knowledge and support you need to develop professionally in order to propel your career to the next level. Continue your commitment to excellence by earning a Master’s of Science degree in Exceptional Student Education (special education) or an Autism endorsement.
The ESE program is offered as a cohort model in Freeport and Nassau, Bahamas. For more information, contact Dr. Judy Harris-Looby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MS in Exceptional Student Education (36 credits)
This program is designed for candidates who want to work with children and youth with mild disabilities (both academic and behavioral) in grades K-12.
Courses are offered two weekends each month, with weeklong intensive courses during the summer.
- EDR 601 - Methodology of Research
- ESE 510 - Educational Management of Students with Exceptionalities
- ESE 511 - Speech Correction for Children
- ESE 514 - Transition: Teaching Social, Personal and Work Skills to Students with Exceptionalities
- ESE 524 - Instructional Strategies for Students with Learning and Mild Disabilities
- ESE 528 - Instructional Strategies for Student with Emotional and/or Behavioral Disorders
- ESE 570 - Introduction to Children with Exceptionalities
- ESE 583 - Educational Assessment of Students with Exceptionalities
- EDU 584 - Reading Assessment
- ESE 665 - Collaborative Consultation and Inclusive Practices in ESE
- EDU 567 - Foundations of Reading Instruction
- ESE 690 - Curriculum Design in Exceptional Student Education
Autism Education Certificate (15 credits)
Enhance your expertise in working with children with autism. Learn various behavioral management techniques appropriate for children with autism and children with emotional handicaps. Become knowledgeable about educational assessment techniques and procedures to provide an objective database for individualizing instruction for children with exceptionalities.
You may complete the four certificate courses and a practicum to qualify to teach students with autism. The practicum applies knowledge, strategies, and skills relevant to exceptional students in the classroom and is comprised of field-based experience under the supervision of a University instructor. You may complete the certificate at Barry University’s Nassau location.
- ESE 673 - Nature and Needs of Autism
- ESE 583A - Educational Assessment of Students with Exceptionalities: Focus on Autism
- ESE 527A - Management of Students with Emotional and/or Behavioral Disorders: Focus on Autism
- ESE 683 - Instructional Strategies for Students with Autism: Technological and Communication Interventions
- ESE 699 - Practicum in Exceptional Student Education