How Academic Advising Works
A Professional Academic Advisor in the Sport & Exercise Sciences Programs assigned to you upon school enrollment and you will receive an email notifying you of who your advisor is through your Barry email.
If you do not know who your advisor is, please click here
It is your responsibility to contact your advisor within the first week of classes to schedule your first advising appointment. You will meet with your Academic Advisor for a 30-minute advising appointment.
During this session, advisors and students will discuss:
- Overall career goals
- Past academic performance to identify individual strengths and weaknesses to align with the stated career choice
- Academic resources and tutoring availability for specific coursework
- The academic program evaluation specific to you
- A semester-by-semester plan of study for degree completion based on suggested course sequence
- A weekly Time Management Plan to assist with planning throughout the semester
- A plan for the frequency and method of future communications (weekly meetings, emails, texting) for the remainder of that semester
The goal is to hold a minimum of two face-to-face meetings each semester for the purpose of advising and registration to keep you moving problem-free towards graduation.