International students may be admitted to Barry University if they meet the University's admission requirements.
To be considered for full acceptance to a degree program, a graduate applicant must:
- Submit proof of a bachelor's degree from an institution which is regionally accredited or internationally recognized.
- Submit a completed application form with a $30.00 nonrefundable application fee (waived for Barry alumni). The School of Business has an online application that can be submitted electronically. The application form may also be downloaded, printed out, and submitted. The application fee for the graduate electronic applications can be submitted under separate cover. A paper application can be obtained by contacting the Office of Admissions.
- Submit a statement of purpose (goals) or career narrative statement as required by the specific school.
- Provide complete official transcripts from each college or university attended. Transcripts in the applicant's possession will not be accepted unless in an official envelope sealed by the institution issuing the transcript. An applicant whose degree has not yet been posted may submit a letter, on official letterhead, from the dean of the institution, verifying completion of degree requirements, until the official transcript reflecting degree is submitted.
- Provide the required recommendations in support of graduate study (see specific application form).
- Supply current admission entrance examination scores, as required by the individual school.
- Submit any additional information required by the Office of Admissions or the individual school.
- Permanent Resident Status-When a student has permanent resident status, the Alien Registration Receipt Card ("green card") must be presented to the Office of Admissions with the application.'
- You must submit a TOEFL examination score if your university/college degree is from an institution in which English is not the language of instruction.
There are three versions of the TOEFL:
- The paper-based test score ranges from 310 to 677. Barry University requires 550 at the graduate level.
- The computer-based test score ranges from 0 to 300. Barry University requires require 213 at the graduate level.
- The Internet-based test (iBT) score ranges from 0 to 120. Barry University requires require 79 at the graduate level.
Please note: The minimum acceptable score is higher for the Physician Assistant Program. For more information, see the “Application Procedures for International Students” section of the graduate catalog.
The responsibility for obtaining all admission credentials rests with the applicant.
Certification of Eligibility (Form I-20A)
Once you have been accepted for admission to Barry University, a financial statement must be submitted in order to obtain the U.S. Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status (Form I-20A). There are two types of financial statements:
- A bank letter addressed to Barry University stating that you or your sponsor have the funds available to pay the total cost associated with attending Barry University for one year (see sample below). The University determines the required amount.
- Government or institution-sponsored international students must submit a government sponsorship letter or a notarized letter of support guaranteeing payment of tuition and fees, books, room and board, medical insurance, and personal expenses for one academic year (two semesters).
As an international student, you should be familiar with the regulations of your government regarding sending money to the United States and you should make arrangements to have the necessary funds available at the designated times of enrollment. Documentary evidence of a means of financial support must be attached to the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20A) when applying for the student visa at the United States Embassy or Consular Office.
Sample Bank Letter
[On Bank Letterhead]
Recruitment and Admissions
11300 NE 2nd Avenue
Miami Shores , FL 33161-6695
[Mr. John Smith] has $XX,XXX [exact amount will be provided in your acceptance letter] U.S. Dollars available in his account to pay for the cost associated with [his daughter, Jane Smith]'s attendance at Barry University.
The letter must express:
- The name of the person/account holder that is supporting the expense for attending Barry University.
- The name of the student.
- The Office of Admissions will be able to provide you with the exact amount required in your acceptance letter. This amount will be reduced for applicants who are awarded scholarships.