Sean Erwin, PhD
Sean Erwin earned a BA in Philosophy from Pennsylvania State University and an MA and PhD from Vanderbilt University. Prior to joining the faculty at Barry, he served as a full-time Instructor at Florida International University. His main research interests are in medieval and renaissance philosophy, French continental philosophy, Aristotle, Spinoza and Machiavelli. He is currently preparing a monograph on the theme of arma alienis in Machiavelli.
AREAS OF RESEARCH AND TEACHING
Political Philosophy, Medieval & Renaissance Philosophy, 20th Century Continental
Ancient Philosophy, Surveillance and Technology Studies, Early Modern Philosophy
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- In print “The Metabolism of the State: Instrumental and Aleatory Aspects of Auxiliaries in Machiavelli”, Époché: A Journal for the History of Philosophy, Vol. 20: 2.
- In print “Specters of Umori: Foucault’s Reading of Machiavelli in Sécurité, Territoire, Population” Foucault Studies, No. 19.
- 2014 “Microbiopolitics: Security Mechanisms, The Hela Cell, and the Human Strain” Humanities and Technology Review, v. 33, 106-130.
- 2013 Machiavelli Facing the Challenge of Gouvernementalité” (translation from French), Foucault Studies, No. 16, 104-115.
- 2010 “A War of One’s Own: The Theme of Arma alienis in Machiavelli’s, Principe”, British Journal of the History of Philosophy, v. 18:4, 541-574.
- 2001 “The Political Efficacy of Prophetic Madness”, Idealistic Studies, v. 30:3. 189-207.
2000 “Bodily Involvements and the Errancy of Imagining in Baruch Spinoza”: Proceedings of the North American Spinoza Society, No. 6, 3-32.
In print “Revisiting Spinoza’s Theological-Political Treatise”, Book Review, Renaissance Quarterly, Winter.
“Killing the Sons of Brutus: Machiavelli on Repetition, Revolution and Return”, under review at The British Journal of the History of Philosophy.
“The Art of War and the Question of Having One’s Own Arms”, translation from French, under review at War and Society.
- 2015 “Societies of Control: Deleuze’s Critique of Foucault’s Disciplinary Utopic”, Deleuze Studies Conference, Annual Meeting.
- 2015 “Lucretius and Machiavelli on Time as Return”, American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division, Annual Meeting.
- 2015 “Killing the Sons of Brutus: Machiavelli on ‘Return Toward Beginnings” Renaissance Society of America, Annual Meeting.
- 2014 “Discipline Lost? Social Sorting, the Surveillant Assemblage and Machinic Imagining”, Annual Meeting, Humanities and Technology Association.
- 2014 “Specters of Umori: Foucault’s Reading of Machiavelli in Sécurité, Territoire, Population.” Foucault Circle, Fourteenth Annual Meeting.
- 2014 “Pomponazzi and Machiavelli on Religion, Revolution and Return.” Annual Meeting, Renaissance Society of America.
- 2014 “Machiavelli on Killing the Sons of Brutus.” Florida Political Science Association, Annual Meeting.
- 2013 “Beyond Biopolitics? Populations, Vaccination and the HeLa Cell.” Humanities and Technology Association, Annual Meeting.
- 2013 “Territoriality and the Conflict of Umori in Machiavelli.” Politics at the Limits of Civil Society, Guelph, Ontario.
- 2013 “Killing the Sons of Brutus: Machiavelli and Deleuze on Repetition, Revolution and Return” Deleuze Studies Conference, Annual Meeting.
- 2013 “Territoriality in Machiavelli and Deleuze” Cultural Studies Symposium. Annual Meeting.
- 2013 “Machiavelli’s Treatment of Auxiliiaries at Discorsi II.20” South Central Renaissance Conference, Annual Meeting.
- 2012 “Remembering the People: Territoriality and Foucault’s Interpretation of Machiavelli in Sécurité, Territoire, Population.” Mid South Philosophy Conference, Annual Meeting.
- 2012 “Machiavelli and Territory in Foucault’s Sécurité, Territoire, Population,” Florida Philosophical Association, Annual Meeting.
- 2012 “The Theme of Arma alienis in Machiavelli’s Discorsi.” American Philosophical Association Pacific Division, Annual Meeting.
- 2012 “Argument for a Strong Environmental Sustainability Component to the Contemporary Business Curriculum,” Business in Education, Annual Meeting.
- 2012 “The Metabolism of the State”, South Central Renaissance Conference, Annual Meeting.
- 1999 “The Intentionality of Imaginative Notions and Ideas of Intellect in Maimonides”, Medieval Philosophy and the Classical Tradition in Islam, Judaism and Christianity, Dayton, OH, April 11-13.
- 1998 “Lex/Imaginatio: Expressions of Force in Spinoza and Benjamin”, American Philosophical Association, Eastern Division, Annual Meeting.