Mark E. Wedig, OP, PhD
Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, College of Arts and Sciences
Professor of Theology, Liturgical and Sacramental Theology
Chair, Theology and Philosophy Department
Mark E. Wedig, OP, PhD, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, College of Arts and Sciences, Chair and Professor of Theology in the Department of Theology and Philosophy, is a Dominican Friar of the Province of St. Martin de Porres (Southern Province, USA). Rev. Wedig's academic background is as follows: the BA in History/Medieval Studies from Southern Methodist University; the Master of Divinity from the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, Berkeley, CA; the MA in Theology from the Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, CA; and the PhD from the Catholic University of America. Mark Wedig's scholarly interests lie at the intersection between culture studies, liturgy, and the hermeneutics of the visual arts. He has been a member of the North American Academy of Liturgy since 1992 and the Catholic Academy of Liturgy since its inception.
- “Ecclesial Architecture and Image in a Postmodern Age” Transcending Architecture: Contemporary Views on Sacred Space (Washington, D.C.: Catholic University Press)
- “General Principles for the Reform of the Liturgy - Articles 21-40” A Pastoral Commentary on Sacrosanctum Concilium: The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy of the Second Vatican Council(Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 2013), 49-64.
- “An Overview of Sacramentum Caritatis,” The Liturgy Documents: Sacramental Documents for Parish Worship, Devotions, Formation, and Catechesis, Volume Four (Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 2013), 2-7.
- “Eucharistic Prayer I: The Mystagogical Implications,” A Commentary on the Order of Mass of “The Roman Missal” (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2011), 293-300.
- “Eucharistic Prayer IV: The Mystagogical Implications,” A Commentary on the Order of Mass of “The Roman Missal” (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2011), 425-430.
- “Eucharistic Prayer for Use in Masses for Various Needs,” A Commentary on the Order of Mass of “The Roman Missal” (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2011), 575-582.
- “Theology: the Art of Theological Interpretation,” Theology: Faith, Beliefs and Traditions( Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2009).
- “Ritual: Celebrating Faith and Belief,” Theology: Faith, Beliefs and Traditions(Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2009).
- “The Arrangement and Furnishing of Churches for the Celebration of the Eucharist: De Ecclesiarum Dispositione et Ornatu ad Eucharistiam Celebrandam,” with Richard S. Vosko, A Commentary on the General Instruction of “The Roman Missal” 2002, Chapter Five (Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 2007), 349-377.
- “Preaching the Social Mission of the Church in the Hispanic/Latino Parish,” with Jorge
Presmanes, Preaching the Teaching: Hispanics, Homiletics, and Catholic Social Justice DoctrineÂ
(University of Scranton Press, 2005), 60-67.
- “The Defeat of Visual Aesthetic Arianism," Source and Summit: Commemorating Josef A. Jungmann, SJ, eds. Joanne Pierce, Michael Downey (Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 1999), 211-224.
- “The Eucharist: A Mystery to be Celebrated Full Participation in the Liturgical Action," Pastoral Liturgy 39 (July/August 2008): 12-15
- “The Eucharist: Liturgy as Communal Ritual Action,” Pastoral Liturgy 39 (May/June 2008): 9-12.
- “Postmodernity, the New Faithful, and Challenges to Liturgical Ministry,” Liturgical Ministry 17 (Winter 2007) 30-38.
- “Reception of the Eucharist Under Two Species,” Rite 38, no. 3 (May/June 2007): 8-12.
- “Dies Domini: The Sunday as a Prophetic Act of Meaning,” Rite 37, no. 3 (May/June 2006): 16-18.
- “When Liturgy Makes the Church: the RCIA Transforming a Campus,” Liturgical Ministry 15 (Spring 2006): 108-114.
- “No Neutral Zones: Hermeneutics and the Interpretation of Liturgical Space,” Liturgical Ministry 14 (Winter 2005): 1-7.
- “A Practical Liturgical Theology of the Word,” Liturgical Ministry 13 (Fall 2004): 192-199.
- Reprint of “Evangelization, Inculturation and the RCIA,” Catechumenate: Journal of Christian Initiation 26:5 (September 2004): 2-19.
- “Recovering the Concilium Sanctorum: A Contemporary Ecclesiology Inclusive of the Communion of the Saints,” Liturgical Ministry 12 (Winter 2003): 1-8
- “The Shared Lens of Theologian and Visual Artist,” Chicago Studies 41:3 (Fall/Winter 2002): 259-267.
- “Evangelization, Inculturation and the RCIA,” Worship 76:6 (November 2002): 503-520.
- “Edifice and Image: Reform of the Roman Catholic Worship Environment,” New Theology Review 15:3 (August 2002): 5-15.
- “The Visual Hermeneutics of Hispanic/Latino Popular Religion and the Recovery of the Image in
Christian Praxis,” Journal of Hispanic/Latino Theology 8:3 (February 2001): 6-17.
- “The Fraternal Context of Congar’s Achievement: The Platform for a Renewed Catholicism at Les Éditions du Cerf (1927-1954)” US Catholic Historian 17:2 (Spring 1999): 106-115.