Physical Education and Coaching
If you are looking for a degree in career that is in high demand, Physical Education and Coaching (PEC) is it! Did you know:
- Barry's Physical Education program has a 90% placement rate for students wanting to teach in Florida.
- Students graduating from Barry's PE program generally start at a base salary of $38,000 per year.
- Physical education teachers have great benefits including summer's off!
- PE is one of the best stepping stones towards a career in coaching or in athletic administration at all levels.
- Barry's faculty possess strong academic credentials and extensive experience in the field.
- The Miami Shores/Doctor’s Charter School, located right on Barry's campus, gives you ample opportunities for practical experience.
This program will prepare you to teach physical education, fitness, and wellness in the primary, elementary, and/or secondary schools. In addition, Barry's coursework in coaching even further expands your options.
The Physical Education major requires a total of 121 credit-hours with 46 credit-hours of major coursework, 34 hours of which are specific to the Physical Education Program. The minimum grade of C is required in all major, SES core, education, and co-requisite courses. Additional background checks are required of all students as mandated by The Florida Department of Education.
Florida Teacher Certification
A major in Physical Education will prepare you to obtain the Florida Temporary Teacher Certification, gain one year of teaching experience and attempt The Florida Teacher Examination (FTCE). Additional coursework can prepare the student for the state endorsement in Coaching.