Scholarships, Grants and Stipends
Your hard work in the classroom pays off at Barry Law. We award merit-based scholarships to all entering students as well as to students who achieve competitive grades in law school. In addition, law students who achieve competitive grades after the first and second years of study may be eligible for post-enrollment scholarships. When you apply, there is no separate application for these awards. A scholarship offer will be included with your acceptance letter if you are eligible.
Here’s a look at the scholarships and stipends we offer:
Merit-based Scholarships: 100 percent of the entering Barry Law class receives merit-based scholarships, ranging from $1,000 to $24,000. If you score a 165 on the LSAT and have a 3.3 UGPA, you qualify for a full-tuition scholarship. These awards are renewable if certain academic criteria are met. With 2.6 to 2.8 as the LGPA renewal requirement (based on the amount of the award), Barry Law scholarships offer generous and reasonable renewal provisions. The scholarship renewal process, for those who begin in the fall, automatically occurs after the spring term grades are posted. Renewal is based on the student maintaining the minimum cumulative law grade point average as noted in the initial award letter. If the law cumulative GPA is below the specified requirement of 2.6 to 2.8, the scholarship will be removed.
After your first year at Barry Law, you are eligible for scholarships based on academic performance in law school:
- Top 10 Percent: Students in the top 10 percent of their class will receive a 75 percent scholarship - also known as the Top 10 Percent Bonus Program.
- Not in the top 10 percent? You still have options. Students who achieve competitive grades after the first and second years at Barry Law are also eligible for scholarship awards. These awards are based on the law GPA. Students who achieve at least a 2.5 or higher are considered for merit-based awards based on available funds.
- Dean’s Award Grant: One-time awards based on financial need.
Barry Law offers stipends in four areas. With the exception of the Book Stipend, which is awarded to all incoming students, these awards are by application only and are awarded to individuals who wish to practice in these specific areas of law.
- Barry Law Book Stipend (new for 2013): Beginning this fall, every incoming student will receive a credit of $1,000 that can be used toward textbooks for their 1L year at Barry Law.
- Trial Team Stipend: Students who competed as advocates on their undergraduate schools’ Trial Teams are eligible to apply for this stipend of up to $5,000 per year. This award is renewable for up to $15,000 total if certain requirements are met.
- Children and Family Law Stipend: Students who are interested in practicing family law may apply for this stipend of up to $5,000 per year. This award is renewable for up to $15,000 total if certain requirements are met.
- Environmental and Earth Law Stipend: Students who are interested in practicing law in the environmental field may apply for this stipend of up to $5,000 per year. This award is renewable for up to $15,000 total if certain requirements are met.
Scholarship Retention Data Worksheet
|# Entering With Conditional Scholarships||#Whose Conditional Scholarships> Have Since Been Reduced or Eliminated|
|Students Matriculating In Previous Academic Year 2011||264||160|