James Haralambides, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Texas at Dallas, USA, 1991
- M.S. in Computer Science, University of Texas at Dallas, USA, 1989
- B.S. in Computer Engineering and Informatics, University of Patras, Greece, 1985
Joined Barry University: August 1991
- CS-487 Seminar
- CS-471 Computer Networks
- CS-437 Computer Graphics
- CS-426 Databases
- CS-413 Operating Systems
- CS-372 Software Engineering
- CS-332 Computer Hardware Organization
- CS-311 Assembly Language
- CS-231 Computer Science I
- CS-211 Computer Programming I
- CS-478 Applied Cryptography
- CS-440 Data Communications
- CS-431 Concepts of Programming Languages
- CS-414 Computer Architecture
- CS-412 Embedded Multimedia Systems
- CS-341 Interactive Multimedia Systems
- CS-331 Data Structures and Algorithms
- CS-232 Computer Science II
- CS-212 Computer Programming II
Dr. Haralambides’ research interests are in the areas of Embedded Design, VLSI Design, and Applied Graph Theory.
Embedded Design and Programmable Logic
VLSI Design and FPGAs
2004: “Multi-level 3-Dimensional Placement and Routing”, Visiting Research Faculty Program”, Air Force Research Laboratories/Information Directorate, Rome, NY. $11,600.
2003: “3-Dimensional Switchbox Routing”, Summer Faculty Fellowship Program, National Research Council, The National Academies, Air Force Research Laboratories/Information Directorate, Rome, NY. $11,600.
Undergraduate STEM Research
2010-2018: Faculty/Student undergraduate research with participation in STEM-related symposiums. View detailed list of projects.
J. Haralambides, L. Bijaminas. “Reducing DDR Latency for Embedded Image Steganography”, International Conference on Embedded Systems and Applications, ESA’14, Las Vegas, NV, pp. 27 – 31, 2014.
D. Charalampidis, J. Haralambides. “A multilevel, multidimensional undergraduate course and lab experience on embedded multimedia systems”, Proceedings of the 43rd ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, SIGCSE 2012, Raleigh, NC, USA, pp. 631 – 636, February 29 – March 3, 2012.
J. Haralambides. “On Multilevel 3-Dimensional Placement and Routing”, WSEAS Transactions on Information Science & Applications, Volume 3, No. 10 , pp. 1940 – 1946, October 2006.
D. Bhatia, J. Haralambides. “Bounds and Practical Layouts for Field Programmable Interconnection Chips”, IEEE Transactions on VLSI Systems, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 346 – 355, 2000.
J. Haralambides, F. Makedon. “Approximation Algorithms for the Bandwidth Minimization Problem for a Large Class of Trees” (with F. Makedon), Theory of Computing Systems, Vol. 30, pp. 67 – 90, 1997.
M. Formann, T. Hagerup, J. Haralambides, M. Kaufmann, F.T. Leighton, A. Simvonis, E. Welzl and G. Woeginger. “Drawing Graphs in the Plane with High Resolution”, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 1035 – 1052, 1993.
A selection of service activities:
- Senator, Faculty Senate, 2016-2019.
- Co-chair of the Faculty Senate Communications and Technology Committee, 2016-2019.
- Judge for the South Florida Regional Science and Engineering Fair (SFRSEF), STEM Expo, Miami, FL, 2015, 2016.
- Member of the Faculty Welfare Committee, Barry University, 2009-16.
- Member of the General Education/Distribution Requirements Curriculum Committee, Barry University, 2004-6.
- Member of the Ethics Committee, Barry University, 2002-3 and 2003 – 4.
- Silver Knights Awards Judge for the years 1996-1999.
- IEEE (Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers) member since 1986.
- Chamber of Engineers of Greece member since 1985.