Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology
Flexible student-centered curriculum develops advanced skills in biotechnology
The Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology is designed either for individuals working in the biotechnology industry seeking to improve their skills with advanced training or for individuals wishing to strengthen their application to professional school with "hands-on" laboratory skills. The flexible curriculum allows students to take classes in the morning, afternoon or evenings. Applicants will be considered on an individual basis and acceptance will be based on prior professional experience as well as academic background.
The graduate certificate is offered through the Division of Applied Science for flat fee of $12,500.00. Award of the graduate certificate requires successful completion of 16 - 18 graduate credits with a GPA of 3.0 or greater.
Students will be required to take the following courses:
- BIOE 427/428 or BMS 527/528 Biochemistry - 6 s.h.
- BIOE 505 Biotechnology - 3 s.h.
- Biotechnology workshops Examples of the workshops are: PCR, DNA/RNA, ELISA workshops (See MS in Medical Biotechnology for workshop info) - 4 - 6 s.h.
Students may select up to two of the following courses:
- BMS/BIOE 553 Health Law and Ethics - 3 s.h.
- BMS/BIOE 537 Human Genetics - 3 s.h.
- BMS/BIOE 555 Immunology - 3 s.h.
- BMS/BIOE 558 Applied Microbiology OR BMS/BIOE 623 Medical Microbiology - 3 s.h.
- BMS/BIO 670 Seminar - 2 s.h.
- HSA 535 Applied Biostatistics - 3 s.h.
- BMS/BIOE 648 Epidemiology - 3 s.h.
- BIOE 545 Introduction to Histotechnology - 3 s.h.
- BIOE 603 Advanced Histotechnology - 3 s.h.
- Total Credits - 16 – 18*
*At the discretion of the Program Director coursework may be counted toward the PSM in Medical Biotechnology.