The Office of Mission Engagement works with several projects that seek to further Barry’s mission in the community through mutually productive partnerships. These collaborations involve advocating for programming and resources that support Barry’s hometown community efforts as well as playing a lead role in the development of the Community Learning Partnership of Greater Miami Shores (CLP).
Community Learning Partnership
The Community Learning Partnership of Greater Miami Shores (CLP) was established in 2008 by leaders from local businesses, organizations, and public and private educational institutions who seek to serve as a catalyst for community engagement and quality education to benefit all members of our community. Its purpose is to provide a forum for sharing community, school, and university educational opportunities and events in an effort to support each other’s activities, partner where possible, reduce costs, and highlight what each organization is offering.
OME works with internal and external constituents to further the goals of the CLP related to three program components.
- Student Leadership Development: Barry students serve as mentors for 6th-12th grade CLP students as well as take part in the design and implementation of student programming in the community. Barry University partners include the Center for Community Service Initiatives, (CCSI) and Center for Student Involvement (CSI). Barry faculty and staff serve as resources for civic engagement, social justice, and fine arts to name a few.
- Teacher Professional Development: Barry faculty and staff serve on the CLP conference planning committee and share best practices related to 21st century learning enhancements. Barry University partners include Adrian Dominican School of Education (ADSOE) and School of Professional And Career Education (PACE). Resources are leveraged among all schools and the university to expand and enhance teaching excellence in our community. Two teacher professional development conferences have been held. The first conference was held in February 2011 at Barry University and the second conference was held at Miami Country Day School in February 2013.
- Community Building Events and Projects: Community projects are identified and collaborated on from CLP schools to foster a sense of civic responsibility among our students and members of our community. Barry University partners include the School of Human Performance and Leisure Sciences (HPLS) and Campus Recreation and Wellness (CRW). Community partners include Miami Shores Chamber, Miami Shores Community Alliance, Miami Shores Village, Informed Families, and Miami Shores Drug Free Coalition and Urban Health Partners.
- Community Learning Partnership of Greater Miami Shores http://www.barry.edu/clp
- Miami Shores Chamber http://www.miamishores.com/
- Miami Shores Alliance http://www.miamishoresalliance.com/
Campus Beautification Projects
Each year, students, faculty, and staff serve the Barry community by beautifying our campuses with projects such as planting community gardens, orchids, native plants or painting an older recreation space. Mission Engagement works with different departments in the selection, planning, and implementation of the following opportunities:
- Plant the Campus Red (Organized by the Founders’ Week Committee)
- Earth Day Tree Planting (Organized by BEST Committee)
- Spring Break Project (Organized by the QIP Committee)