Resources, Services, and Research
Adrian Dominican Sisters – Living the Vision
The Office of Mission Engagement promotes personal and institutional reflection about our Dominican heritage. Ideas for the use of reflection time in various settings are listed below.
Ideas for Student Reflection
Because we are a faith-based university, it is most appropriate to explore the implications of faith and values in the classroom. Some ideas adapted from the University of the Incarnate Word for initiating class discussions include:
- Ask students to spend a few minutes reflecting on a specific paragraph from Barry University’s Mission statement and discuss how it relates to their class, major, or a recent experience.
- Ask students to take charge of opening the class with a brief reflection of their own.
- Ask students to spend a moment in silent reflection or prayer for the world or for some current major crisis.
- Ask students if they have any special intentions that they would like everyone to pray for during the day.
- Over the course of the semester, have each student report on what personal insights he or she has gained from engaging in any of the four Core Commitments.
- Post a spiritual thought for the week in your classroom and draw attention to it at the beginning of class.
Consulting and Facilitation Services
The Office of Mission Engagement serves as a resource to the Barry University and external community by offering customized learning experiences designed to further strategic goals and objectives. These opportunities support Mission congruence and institutional effectiveness.
- Mission In-Service Discussions
- Developing departmental purpose statements, mission alignment, and strategic action planning
- Leadership development
- Communication Styles
- Teambuilding exercises
- Retreat facilitation
- Departmental effectiveness, team assessment and group dynamics
The Office of Mission Engagement provides the following materials for departments to use in fostering and furthering Mission education. Please send requests to email@example.com indicating number needed.
- Mission Statement and Core Commitments: A Commentary
- Barry University Mission Card
- Barry University framed Mission Statement (14” x 17”)
- Adrian Dominican Sisters: Mission and History
- Adrian Dominican Sisters
- Center for Earth Jurisprudence
- Barry's Ecological Sustainability Team (B.E.S.T.)
- Earth Day
- Dominican Sister.Org
- Campus Ministry
- Office of the President
University Wide Presentations that reflect our mission
- Mission Luncheon:
- April 4 – Conversation on the Commentary by Sister Gloria Schaab,
- School of Business….
- Founders’ Week Distinguished Lecture:
- Law School Distinguished Dominican Lecture
- Library Lecture Series
- Common Reader