Application & Deadlines
The application for all MSW degree programs consists of:
- The completed application (online applications are encouraged)
- A personal statement
- OFFICIAL transcripts of all college and universities attended
- Two letters of reference
- A signed Criminal History Disclaimer
- A signed Core Performance Standards Agreement
To be considered for admission to the MSW advanced standing program, applicants are required to submit the following documentation, in addition to the materials requested above for general admission:
- A baccalaureate degree in social work from a college or university whose social work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) at the time the BSW or BA degree is conferred.
- You must have received your Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work no more than five years prior to enrollment with a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 credits of your degree (there are no exceptions to this policy).
- A final field evaluation from your undergraduate field placement is required.
Please note that the application requirements for international students may require additional items. GRE scores are not required for any of our MSW degree programs. A $50 nonrefundable application fee ($60 if submitting a paper application) must accompany the completed application and is not credited toward tuition. The application fee can be paid online or via check or money order made payable to Barry University.
All official transcripts and reference letters may be mailed or dropped off at:
School of Social Work
Office of Admissions, Enrollment, and Student Services
11300 NE Second Avenue
Miami, FL 33161-6695
The Barry University School of Social Work accepts and processes MSW applications on a rolling basis. To receive priority consideration for financial aid, you must submit your completed application by October 15, 2013. We will begin reviewing applications for Spring 2014 admission on October 1st and will continue to do so until our class is full. Please note that Barry University is closed from December 23rd to January 3rd. As a result, no application decisions will be made during this time.
Our Admissions Committee strives to evaluate complete applications within four to six weeks. Please note that the committee does not evaluate incomplete applications. Admissions decisions are based primarily on an evaluation of your previous undergraduate and graduate coursework, experience in the human services (paid, volunteer, research, and internship), written personal statement, and letters of reference.
Tips for Applying
Use these tips to help your application stand out.
- Apply as early as possible. We accept applications on a rolling basis, but only until classes are full. Pending acceptance, applying early provides our staff with suitable time to find an appropriate field placement that suits your needs.
- Consider applying via our online application system to ensure that your application is received in a timely manner.
- Review the admissions criteria before submitting your application.
- Carefully write your Personal Statement and be sure to provide all the requested information. We want to get an idea of who you are and how your life experiences have shaped you for a social work career. Take advantage of this opportunity to tell us how you are uniquely qualified for admission to the Barry University School of Social Work.
- Remember to check your spelling and grammar, and edit your statement.
- Choose academic and professional references who can speak to how you perform in both an academic and a professional capacity.
- Fully complete your experience summary, describing all your work experience that is related to social work. Be sure to include the length of time you were involved in each experience.
- For priority financial aid consideration, complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online in a timely manner.