Dr. Beulah Rothman Scholarship
Dr. Beulah Rothman (1924-1990) distinguished professor and Director of the PhD Program at Barry University School of Social Work was a nationally recognized leader in the professional education of social workers. She was heralded by students and colleagues for her inspired and creative teaching skills. Her dedication to students was beyond exemplary. Dr. Rothman's career was particularly unique in the way she integrated social work scholarship, theory, research, leadership and the skill of the practitioner with the small group. Several of her articles have become classics in the theoretical development of group work practice to which she was deeply committed and the generalist approach to professional helping.
Purpose of Scholarship
The purpose of this memorial scholarship fund is to assist capable, financially needy doctoral students enrolled at Barry University School of Social Work. This endowment was established to honor Dr. Rothman's commitment to the advancement of doctoral studies, scholarly research, and the advancement of group work practice knowledge and competencies in social work.
This scholarship will be awarded to qualified recipients determined by the School of Social Work Beulah Rothman Scholarship Awards Committee. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a matriculating doctoral student in Barry University School of Social Work
- Demonstrated Area of interest in descending order with special consideration given to research and/or demonstration projects:
- Social Work with Groups
- Social Work Education (teaching/learning)
- Social Work Practice and Theory
- Level of financial need
- Student's interview with Scholarship Committee
- A cover letter indicating their interest in being considered for this scholarship.
- A four (4) to five (5) page narrative (double spaced) indicating ways in which your practice and research interests reflect the intent of this scholarship
- Complete the Barry University PhD in Social Work Application
- Submit a copy of applicant's Student Aid Report (SAR) or previous tax return
- The recipients of the Beulah Rothman Scholarship is required to attend the awards reception. A date for the reception will be determined shortly after announcing the 2014 call for scholarship applications.
- Recipient must remain in academic good standing throughout matriculation.
A call for Rothman Scholarship Applications will be announced at the start of the Fall 2014 semester. Scholarships will be awarded to two (2) recipients. Awards will be applied to the following spring semester's tuition.
Please submit your completed application to:
Online submission: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarship Awards Committee, Chair
Attention: Mr. Philip Giarraffa, Director of Admissions
Barry University School of Social Work
11300 NE 2nd Avenue
Powers Hall, Room 116
Miami Shores, FL 33161