Marilyn Zide Memorial Scholarship
DR. MARILYN ZIDE was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. but moved to Miami as an infant. She was a dedicated and respected faculty member in the School of Social Work from 1994 until 2003. Rising to the rank of Associate Professor Dr. Zide was much sought after and admired by the students in the courses she taught on human behavior and social work practice. In addition to her skill as an educator, Dr. Zide co-authored the textbook, Psychopathology: A Competency-Based Assessment Model for Social Workers (2001), which remains in use by schools of social work throughout the country. A proud alumna of Barry, Dr. Zide earned three degrees at the University, including a BS in Liberal Studies in 1979, a Masters of Social Work in 1981, and a Ph.D. in 1990. A devoted wife and dedicated mother of four children, Marilyn Zide didn’t begin her studies at Barry until the age of 38. Motivated by her 7 -year old daughter’s tragic battle with leukemia she made a promise to God that if she was given a few more months with her daughter she would dedicate her life to helping others. Honoring her promise Marilyn initiated her professional and academic career with plans to take only one course at a time. However, true to her personality which was characterized by boundless energy and unwavering enthusiasm Marilyn Zide ended up registering for 17 credits in her first semester. Prior to becoming a full-time social work educator, Dr. Zide’s professional practice experience involved work with agencies throughout Miami-Dade and Broward counties, including Henderson Mental Health Clinic, where she supervised the youth clinic. Marilyn Zide was a skilled practitioner, an admired educator, a supportive colleague, a loving wife and mother and above all, dedicated to the service of others. The Marilyn Zide Memorial Scholarship has been established by her family to honor Marilyn Zide’s remarkable life and achievements.
Purpose of Scholarship
This scholarship is dedicated to the memory of Dr. Marilyn Zide, faculty and alumnus of Barry University. It has been established to honor Dr. Zide's commitment to the profession of social work and her dedication to both service and education. The purpose of this fund is to recognize a mature BSW or MSW student who has returned to school with an interest in direct practice. Students who can demonstrate a turning point in their life that brought them to the profession of social work are encouraged to apply. A one-time award in the amount of $1500.00 will be awarded to a selected recipient.
This scholarship will be awarded to a qualified recipient determined by the School of Social Work Scholarship Awards Committee. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor or MSW level students enrolled in the Barry University School of Social Work
- BSW applicants must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA for courses taken within the School of Social Work and MSW scholarship applicants must have a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA for courses taken within the School of Social Work at the time of application.
To apply for the Marilyn Zide Memorial Scholarship, students must submit the following:
- A cover letter indicating their interest in being considered for this scholarship.
- A three (3) to five (5) page narrative (double spaced) that highlights (a) professional and personal qualities that express the intent of the scholarship (b) a discussion on the applicant's return to school (c) perspective on the turning point in the applicant's life that prompted the decision to enter the social work profession (d) interest in direct practice and (e) future goals in the professional of social work.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- A copy of the student's most recent transcript from Barry University or previous academic institution, including undergraduate transcript. A request can be made to the Office of Admissions, Enrollment, and Student Services to provide these documents.
- Two (2) "Thank You"; letters to the donor. The first thank you letter will be presented to the donor's family at the awards reception and the second letter will be sent by the School to the donor's family upon successful completion of the Social Work program.
- The recipient of the Marilyn Zide Memorial Scholarship is required to attend an awards reception. A date for the reception is announced upon selection of the scholarship recipient.
- Must remain in academic good standing throughout matriculation.
A call for Zide Scholarship Applications are announced annually. A scholarship will be awarded to one (1) recipient and is to be applied to tuition.
Please submit your completed application to:
Online submission: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Student Services
Attention: Ms. Yvonne Alonso
Barry University School of Social Work
11300 NE 2nd Avenue
Miami Shores, FL 33161