Three-Page Personal Statement of Purpose
Your personal statement is an extremely important component of your application. It should be carefully and thoughtfully prepared. Be sure to submit your personal statement on separate sheets of paper. Your essay should be typed and double-spaced. It should consist of a minimum of three full pages. Make sure that you sign your personal statement at the end.
Additionally, type your name, social security number (optional), desired program, and page number on the upper right-hand corner of each page.
Suggested outline for your personal statement:
- Goals related to issues of human diversity that have influenced the development of your interest in social work.
- Your view of a current social issue and the role of social work in addressing it. Feel free to comment briefly on the source of your views.
- Your reasons and readiness for choosing to pursue a graduate degree in social work, including your reason(s) for applying to Barry University's School of Social Work.
- Describe your professional social work goals and indicate which personal or vocational experiences have influenced your choice.
- Your own assessment of your strengths and weaknesses.
- Your plan to finance graduate education.