How much do you know about the Office of Disability Services? Take our weekly quizzes during October’s Disability Awareness Month to find out.
Write your answers in an email and send them to:firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. True or False: Don’t lean over someone in a wheelchair to shake another person’s hand.
2. True or False: Speech reading (lip reading) is difficult for people who are Deaf if their first language is ASL because the majority of sounds in English are formed inside the mouth, and it’s hard to speech read a second language.
3. Which is correct non-visual information when directing someone who is visually impaired?
- “Go to your right when you reach the office supplies.”
- “Walk forward to the end of this aisle and make a full right.”
4. True or False: As with people who have other disabilities, it is okay to pet or kiss a person of short stature on the head.
5. True or False: A person who may appear to be drunk, sick or have a medical emergency might in fact have cerebral palsy.
6. People with ____ ____ may make vocalizations or gestures such as tics that they cannot control. A small percentage involuntarily say ethnic slurs or obscene words.
- No self-control
- Tourette Syndrome
7. True or False: If a person is experiencing a seizure, you cannot do anything to stop it.