DNP-TO-PHD | DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN NURSING (PHD)
A fully online program designed for working nurses providing opportunities for synchronous and asynchronous learning.
This program is designed for nurses with a nursing license (RN) and a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree who want to earn a PhD in Nursing through an efficient path while developing the professional opportunities that lead to life-long achievement.
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) represents the highest level of formal education for a career in research and the scholarship of discovery. It prepares scholars for the expression and communication of the knowledge base in the profession. The PhD graduate develops the science, stewards the profession, educates the next generation of nurses, defines its uniqueness, and maintains its professional integrity.
The PhD in Nursing allows students to develop expertise in a focus area through completion of cognates. This may be an extension of a DNP scholarly project or development of a new skill set such as education. This self-paced program allows you to complete your coursework at your convenience. Individualized study plans are created with the help of a PhD-prepared advisor.
You can pursue your PhD within one of our Spring or Fall online cohorts.
PRE-REQUISITES / ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
- Program Specifics: 30 to 48 total credit hours, depending on need for pre-requisites and cognate courses.
- Completion of a 3-credit graduate-level epidemiology/bio-statistics course
- Completion of a 3-credit graduate-level populations-based or health policy course focusing on needs of the underserved
- Successful completion of a course in research emphasizing quantitative methods
- If needed, pre-requisite courses can be incorporated into individualized plan of study.
- Cognates: Graduate level specialization courses may meet cognate requirements depending on dissertation topic. Students should discuss need for up to 9 credits of cognate/electives with faculty advisor or program director.
- If needed, cognate courses can be incorporated into individualized plan of study.
- Format: 100% Online
- Admission Criteria: 3.0 GPA, Doctorate in Nursing Practice
- Application Deadline: None
- Start Terms: Spring and Fall