Family Nurse Practitioner
As a family nurse practitioner, you will provide advanced care to individuals in order to prevent diseases and manage chronic illnesses. A family nurse practitioner aspires to improve the health of the community and is constantly promoting proactive health initiatives through health care settings such as a doctor’s office, clinics, primary care centers and hospitals.
The Post-Baccalaureate DNP program, with the family specialty, is a very notable and recognized nursing program throughout South Florida. Through this program you will:
- Experience personalized attention from faculty to ensure grasp of course curriculum
- Work with professional patients to gain hands-on experience with clinical exams such as the pelvic and prostate exams
- Have classes once a week in order to fit your busy schedule
- Be eligible to sit for the Family Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam (ANCC and AANP)
- Receive a 25% tuition discount if you are already a registered nurse
Through your coursework, you will study:
- Advanced pathophysiology, advanced pharmacology, and advanced health assessment / differential diagnosis specific for family nurse practitioners
- Advanced practice nursing skills in a primary health care setting/li>
- Leadership skills in creating ethical and socially responsible changes in the socio-political realm in which health care is delivered
- Roles of clinical expert, leader, educator, consultant, and client advocate
All Post-Baccalaureate DNP graduates are required to complete a residency of 1000 clinical hours in conjunction with their scholarly project. At least 1000 hours of precepted clinical experience in the student’s specialty area (Family or Adult Acute Care) is mandated by The American Academy of Colleges of Nursing – at least 500 hours as a part of advanced practice experiences and another 500 hours in the DNP phase of their studies. The Post-Baccalaureate DNP student will develop, implement, and evaluate their selected project during their residency and capstone courses. A faculty advisor will assist the student in creating an individualized plan to meet the objectives of residency as well as of the capstone.