Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
The adult-gerontology acute care nurse practitioner (AGACNP) provides advanced practice nursing care to individuals who suffer from acute health episodes requiring complex care in the inpatient, acute care setting. The type of healthcare settings that acute care nurse practitioners commonly practice include the intensive care and trauma settings, acute care subspecialties such as neurology, pulmonology, and nephrology. Most AGACNP are employed in the acute care settings such as hospitals and medical centers or within a specialty practice.
The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program, with the AGACNP specialty, is a very notable and recognized nursing program throughout South Florida. Through this program you will:
- Experience personalized attention from faculty to ensure grasp of course curriculum
- Work with professional patients to gain hands-on experience with clinical exams such as the pelvic and prostate exams
- Have classes one day a week in order to fit your busy schedule
- Be eligible to sit forAdult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner certification exam (ANCC, and/or American Association of Critical Care Nurses)
- Receive a 30% tuition discount if you are already a registered nurse
The program of study will include the following coursework, where you will learn:
- Advanced pathophysiology, advanced pharmacology, and advanced health assessment / differential diagnosis specific for adult-gerontology acute care nurse practitioners.
- Advanced nursing management, clinical skills (may include but not limited to: x-rays, 12-lead EKGs, suturing, intubation, ventilators, and chest tubes) and technology needed by critically ill individuals and their families.
- Leadership skills in creating ethical and socially responsible changes in the socio-political realm in which health care is delivered.
- Roles of clinical expert, leader, educator, consultant, and client advocate.
The major focus of the MSN program is your clinical experience. You are required to complete a minimum of 500 hours of direct care hours with a preceptor for your clinical learning. The adult-gerontology acute care practicum course may be in your practice area of interest. Through this clinical experience, you will develop expertise for patient management from simple to complex, in the care of high-risk, critically ill adults and their families as well as advanced nursing practice skills across the wellness-illness continuum.