A maximum of 42 students are admitted to the Occupational Therapy Program each fall. Applicants are required to have the following prerequisites:
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- 3.2 cumulative college grade point average
- Grades of "B" or better in prerequisite courses:
-Human Anatomy (3 cr.)
-Human Physiology (3 cr.)
(or Anatomy and Physiology I and II) (6 cr.)
-Sociology or Anthropology (3 cr.)
-Psychology (Developmental or Abnormal) (3 cr.)
- Satisfactory Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score. (The GRE Designated Institute Code assigned to Barry University OTCAS is 2207. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) will transmit your official GRE scores electronically to the OTCAS if you designate our program as a score recipient.).
- Two professional letters of recommendations through OTCAS
- Evidence of 40 hours of observation or volunteer work in an occupational therapy clinic to inform yourself about this career.
- Applicants are required to submit Verification of Observation Hours to OT CAS. Please provide observation hours documentation from each facility or download and complete this form.
- Interview required
In addition to the writing tips on the OTCAS, your personal statement should also address the following questions:
- In your opinion, how is occupational therapy different from other health-related professions? What makes it unique?
- What is your plan for meeting the challenges of combining graduate school with work and family responsibilities?
Applicants who have degrees or experience in health and human service fields are given priority in the admissions process.
All application materials including transcripts and references must be received by the deadline of March 1st. Application is encouraged early!
Admission is on a competitive basis for a limited number of positions. As a result, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
An individual who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor may be denied certification or licensure as a health professional.