Professional Guardian 40-Hour Course offered at Barry’s School of Social Work
The demand for a career as a professional guardian is increasing nationwide. With the growing number of retirees, more and more vulnerable adults with no willing or qualified family member or friend to serve as guardian will need a qualified professional. As a result, Barry University School of Social Work is now offering professional guardianship training.
A professional guardian is required to obtain a minimum of 40 hours of instruction and must be at least 18 years of age. Upon the successful completion of the 40-hour course and passing of the Florida Competency Guardianship Exam, the individual must then register with the Florida Statewide Public Guardianship Office. Before starting the Professional Guardian career, bonding, a credit check, and fingerprinting for a criminal background review is required. Once registered with the State, the new Professional Guardian may embark on a personal and financially rewarding profession.
The Florida Statewide Public Guardianship Office has developed the course content for the 40-hour Professional Guardianship Course offered by Barry University. The Instructor is Eloisa Rosés Ramos, a National Certified Guardian with over 15 years of experience in the field of guardianship. Ms. Ramos is also a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
The fee for the course is $395.00 and includes the Florida Professional Guardian Training Manual and the Guardian Training Manual appendix, with references to a large number of forms, tools and information sheets related to guardianship. This material will be distributed to each registered student on a Compact Disk on the first day of class.
The topics that will be discussed in the class sessions are:
- Unit 1 – Professional Guardianship Basics
- Unit 2 – Pre-Incapacity Alternatives to Guardianship
- Unit 3 – Mental Disorders and Disabilities
- Unit 4 – Determining Incapacity and Appointment of the Guardian
- Unit 5 – Guardianship of the Person
- Unit 6 – Guardianship of the Property
- Unit 7 – Benefits and Insurance
- Unit 8 – End of Life Decision Making
- Unit 9 – Transition and Termination of Guardianship
- Unit 10 – Guardianship Business Best Practices
Course Offerings are as follows:
Monday June 23, 2014 – Friday, June 27th
9:00am – 5:45pm
Barry University School of Social Work
Powers Hall, Room 132
11300 NE Second Avenue, Miami Shores, Florida 33161
5 Week Course held Tuesday and Thursday from 5:00 to 9:15
- Tuesday, July 15, 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Thursday, July 17, 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 22, 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Thursday, July 24, 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 29, 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Thursday, July 31, 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 5, 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Thursday, August 7, 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 12 , 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Thursday, August 14, 2014 – 5:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Friday, August 15, 2014 - Final exam and course evaluation beginning at 5:00 p.m.
- Eloisa Rosés Ramos, LCSW NCG
Executive Director, Office of the Public Guardian
School of Social Work
12401 Orange Drive, Suite 211
Davie, Florida 33330