David M. Kopp, PhD, CPLP, SPHR
Chair, Organizational Learning & Leadership and Human Resource Development Programs
Powers Hall #262
Dr. David M. Kopp joined Barry in 2002 after earning a PhD from Barry in Human Resource Development in 2001; he is an Associate Professor and Chair of the Human Resource Development graduate programs. In the private sector, Dr. Kopp has worked with both profit and non-profit organizations on capacity building, strategic planning, organizational change and performance improvement. He is also been a regular contributing columnist to the national Business Journals and is frequently sought to speak on performance improvement.
Dr. Kopp is one of only a few training and development professionals in Florida to be credentialed as a Certified Performance and Learning Professional (CPLP) and his research interests include workplace training and performance with a special interest in historical training methods and contexts.
Dr. Kopp will be the keynote speaker at the upcoming First Annual Joint Conference "The Human Factor in Performance Improvement" on June 16, 2011 at Florida Atlantic University. This joint conference will be presented by the local chapters of the American Society for Quality (ASQ), the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), and the American Society for Training and Development (ASTD). Dr Kopp will be presenting "The Performance Formula; How workplace performance is the result of knowledge, skills, attitudes, motivation, and environment." For more information on this conference, click on http://www.astdsfl.org/
On December 16, 2010, The Academy of Human Resource Development (AHRD) announced that Dr. Kopp had been elected to the Board of Directors for AHRD. This prestigious organization has more than seven hundred members from thirty nine countries and holds conferences throughout the world.
- Kopp, D.M., Nikolovska, I., Desiderio, K.P., Guterman, J.T. (in press) "Relax, I remember the recession in the early 1980s…" Organizational Storytelling as a crisis management tool.
- Kopp, D.M., Desiderio, K.P., McAtavey, J.M. (2010) When job aids attack: On the social history of dubious job aids. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 21(2): 209-221
- Kopp, D.M & Desiderio, K.P. (2009) Training's woeful countenance. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 20 (1), 135-142.
- Kopp, D.M. (2007). Rosie the riveter: A training perspective. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 18 (4), 589-597.
- Kopp, D.M. (2006). Trainer self-loathing? Human Resource Development Quarterly, 17(3), 351-357.
- Kopp, D.M. (2005). Effective CDE, ineffective CDE: What's the difference? The Diabetes Educator, 31, 641-647.
- Kopp, D.M. (2003). Linking differences in self-directed learning to dyadic conflict: An instrumental case study of John Lennon and Paul McCartney within the Beatles. In H.B. Long & Associates (Ed.), Current developments in e-learning and self-directed learning (pp. 56-74). Boynton Beach, FL: Motorola University.
- Kopp, D.M. (2006, April, 10). Follow the process, Business First, p. 58.
- Kopp, D.M. (2005, April, 25). Use expectancy theory to motivate people, Business First, p. 26.
- Kopp, D.M. (2004, February, 2). Get their attention, and then they'll listen, Business First, p. 16.
- Kopp, D.M. (2004, January, 5). How to make your presentation count, Orlando Business Journal, p. 23.
- Kopp, D.M. (2003, December, 12). Involve others, Business First, p. 38.
- Kopp, D.M. (2003, November, 24). Make better business decisions, Orlando Business Journal, p. 6.
- Kopp, D.M. (2000, April, 24). Have you sharpened your questioning skills?, Business First, p. 13-14.
- Kopp, D.M. (1999, October, 20). Dinner with Yoko: Reflecting on Yoko Ono's leadership, Orlando Business Journal, p. 35.
- Kopp, D.M., Desiderio, K.P., McAtavey, J.M. (2010) When job aids attack: On the social history of dubious job aids. T. Chermak, J. Storberg-Walker, C. Carroll, (Eds.), Proceedings of the Academy of Human Resource Development 2010 International Research Conference. Knoxville, TN
- Kopp, D.M & Desiderio, K.P. (2009) Training's woeful countenance. T. Chermak, J. Storberg-Walker, C. Carroll, (Eds.), Proceedings of the Academy of Human Resource Development 2009 International Research Conference. Washington, D.C.
- Kopp, D.M (2007) Rosie the riveter: A training perspective. F. M., Nafukho & T. Chermak (Eds.), Proceedings of the Academy of Human Resource Development 2007 International Research Conference. Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Hubschman, B., Kopp, D.M., Lutz, M., King, C., Powell, T., Wang, J., (2006) Weathering the storm: Acknowledging challenges to learning in times of stress, F. M. Nafukho & H. Chen (Eds.), Proceedings of the Academy of Human Resource Development 2006 International Research Conference (I-12). Columbus, Ohio.
- Kopp, D.M. (2002). Self-Directed learning and dyadic conflict, Proceedings of the National Conference on the Adult Learner 2002, National Conference. Orlando, Florida.
Broadcasting & Media
- Cayman -27 Television, "Daybreak", Dr. Kopp discusses a possible collaboration with the International College of the Cayman Islands (ICCI) for offering the MS in OLL in the Caymans (May, 2011): http://www.cayman27.com.ky/news/item/9653
- Dr. Kopp Hosts Barry's Community Crossroads programs: http://ka.uvuvideo.org/service/searchEverything.kickAction?keywords=%22david+m+kopp%22&as=86294
- ION Media Television, "Community Cross Roads" with Rise Samara. Unemployment and Graduates. (2009, November)
- ION Media Television, "Community Cross Roads" with Connie Hicks. Jobs and Economy. (2008, November)
- KURV 1280 AM Radio, Brownsville, TX, "British Invasion: 40 years after the Beatles" Discussion on dissertation and leadership Dyads with Sergio Sanchez, (2004, February).
- Radio/Television Pledge Drive, On-Air Fundraiser as Barry University professor with Angela Manfredi, WXEL-PBS, Boynton Beach, Florida, (2003, March).
- Guest on Takin' Care of Business, 90.7 WMFE PBS-NPR affiliate, Leadership